Needing new CPU for gaming

Kaotix

Baseband Member
I fried mine a little when I kept failing the overclocking. Anyways I have an LGA 775 and was wondering what kind I should get. I would love a quad core processor but very expensive and how many Ghz should I be looking for? I plan on playing diablo 3 and other future games.

I have the AMD Athlon II X4 640 and I have no problems what so ever when running browsers, skype, steam and 2 games it says its using around 35% which is all I need, at least.

I like to use anandtechs bench ratings when I'm picking out my processors. AnandTech - Bench - CPU They don't have every single one on there but it can give you a pretty good idea.

LGA 775 is a pretty old slot these days, Intel has released 3 new ones since then. I don't know how much you're looking to spend...

If you're just looking for another 755 processor to drop into your system:

This dual core has a bench rating of 191 for $179 - Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80570E8400

The cheepest quad core has a rating of 171 and it's $182 - Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 Yorkfield 2.66GHz 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80580Q8400

So more cores doesn't always equal more performance. Higher price doesn't always equal more performance. That's why I use the bench scores.

I have an article on processor selection for custom builds on my blog if you care to peruse: Computer Building Basics: Selecting a Processor Site is brand new, not even a month old, so i'm still tweaking. Just trying to get some core content up and then i'll focus on making it user friendly and pretty looking soon.

dang I already have the e8400, thats the one thats half fried. I need a job sigh >.<

You could try the processor everyone is talking about, the Intel Core i7 Extreme edition quad-core that I think clocks in at around 4 Ghz. I have an i7 (but not the extreme edition) and for normal usage, say a browser open with 10 tabs, skype, windows live messenger, and VLC media player open, it only has like 25-30% CPU usage, so I am satisfied with it.

Hey folks, if a user is in a hard spot, suggesting hardware that is way outside of their price range isn't going to make any friends. Please be sensitive to folks who can't do cutting edge (or close to it)

That being said, deepskyblue's suggestions are great for your current build.

Kaotix, the quad core CPU deep suggested is a great processor, and with four threads vs the two you get on the E8400, you will see some nice performance gains in a lot of multithreaded apps.

Back
Top Bottom