Why Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. As muz said, you just need to try one in person before making such outlandish comments. Specifications on paper don't mean squat when it's not implemented correctly.

... Not saying windows is unreliable but when you are trying to write an operating system that can potentially be used on a vast number of different hardware combinations you will face some problems somewhere along the line . ...
I agree with this point and I think MS should be given credit for Windows being as good as it is considering all the different hardware (and software & drivers written by 3rd party developers) that it attempts to be compatible with.

Yep. As muz said, you just need to try one in person before making such outlandish comments. Specifications on paper don't mean squat when it's not implemented correctly.

This.

I like Mac, even though I don't always see how they can cost as much as they do (quality costs something though, right?). If There was a visual studio Alternative that worked as well as the VS itself I'd probably get a Mac based laptop since they are usually more durable.

As OldSchoolPC, no OS is perfect. It's all a matter of personal preference and what you need the system to do. If you need something something reliable that you can count on simply working without much of a second thought, A Mac might be the best for you. Going back to the flight attendant in the original post, odds are they simply need something that is proven to last and Apple provides that.

I agree with this point and I think MS should be given credit for Windows being as good as it is considering all the different hardware (and software & drivers written by 3rd party developers) that it attempts to be compatible with.

I give Microsoft credit windows 7 is great I personally have had no stability or driver issues with it yet

I also still use windows xp pro on an almost daily basis with no stability issues

from my experience windows has generally been a good operating system however you do hear about the type of hardware/software integration issues that i was talking about whereas I am yet to hear about such issues on a mac its just one of the facts of computing if you build the operating system and the hardware together you obviously should be able to make a system that dosent suffer such issues and if not you are in the wrong business

exactly , the specification means nothing unless the machine is built to last as long as you want it to last . I bought a dell before the start of my degree hoping it would last till the end of my degree , big mistake on my behalf I admit as it has in fact fallen apart hence why i spent about £350 - £400 more for a decent machine that will last .

... exactly , the specification means nothing unless the machine is built to last as long as you want it to last . I bought a dell before the start of my degree hoping it would last till the end of my degree , big mistake on my behalf I admit as it has in fact fallen apart hence why i spent about £350 - £400 more for a decent machine that will last .
I didn't have that problem when I was going to college, laptops didn't exist. I thought I was pretty high tech because I had a scientific calculator and electric typewriter! :cool:

I didn't have that problem when I was going to college, laptops didn't exist. I thought I was pretty high tech because I had a scientific calculator and electric typewriter! :cool:

I wish life were that simple now if im honest . Half of the materials for my course are stored on electronic databases which you need a computer to access .and then theres the fact that most academics dont bother accepting hand written essays , soon exams will have to be typed as well

use what you like, and what you can afford. Who cares if its Mac? No one goes on Lexus's boards and says "Why Lexus? I can get the same thing in a Buick!". If you like Buick, drive a Buick. A Mac is like a Lexus. It's the same damn thing as a Toyota Camry, just with added padding and shinier paint. If you like it, buy it! Personally, I like Windows and Linux, so I use them.

A: I would love to buy a Mac, but I don't want to put down that much money and my Linux/Windows lets me do everything.
A': I would love to buy a Lexus, but I don't want to put down that much money and my Nissan Altima lets me go anywhere.

P.S.: I will admit though, it is fun pushing Mac people's buttons.

P.S.: I will admit though, it is fun pushing Mac people's buttons.

lol...sometimes, yes but that was not my goal at all this time. I knew that mac stuff was expensive but I was LITERALLY AMAZED when I saw that the 17" mbp was 2500 bucks with what it had in it. It raised the question, why mac?

To continue the car theme because I love cars, call the HP I mention a toyota avalon...30-40 grand, right. Nice cars. Not basic and not a limo. Then you have the Lexus IS-F...an expensive car ( 80 or 90-ish grand I think) for argument's sake but, when you look at the hardware, without even driving one it makes sense. (I have ridden in one though, as a side note and yeaaaaaa...real piece of work there...) On paper, mbp is like a high end camry's hardware for the IS-F price. You wouldn't be like "WHAAAAAAA!?!?" if you saw a Camry with a 90G price tag and read the sticker just to find a regular old camry?...lol

IMO, that 90 grand camry better be a miracle on wheels on paper, in the parking lot and in the driver's seat. This is why I ask. Maybe Mac IS that miracle on wheels. See what I mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom