Will i need a new cooler for this upgrade?

ace32229

Beta member
Hey,
I'm planning on upgrading my graphics card from the nVidia GT220m to the HD 6870/6950 (not sure which yet). As I'm sure you can appreciate, it's quite a jump so I was wondering if a new cooler/fan would be necessary. ATM, my average core temperature is 24/5 degrees and that is with the stock cooler in the Piano Black ATX case. I'm quite the noob at this sort of thing so I'm not sure if you need any more info/specs. Just say so if so and ill reply ASAP. Thanks in advance. :)

Hi there , in order to help you more It might be useful to know what kind of cooling you have at the moment .how many exhaust and intake fans have you got on the case . what sort of cpu cooling and what cpu have you got
Another thing you may not have thought about with this upgrade is the possibility of needing a new power supply as the current one might not be able to provide enough power for the new graphics card

Anyway if you have the max amount of exhaust and intake fans on your case and you are worried still about cooling it may be possible to install some pci fans at the rear of the case to get rid of heat
Evercool SB-F1 PCI slot system exhaust fan 47 CFM: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

My CPU is the AMD Athlon II X4 635. From what I can see, the only fan is on the CPU which takes up the only vent on the sides, however there are 3 more smaller ones on the back of the computer.

The PSU is the ATX 500 (500W), will that be enough? If not could you recommend a new one? Thanks :)

do you not have fans on the back of the case ? , there might be a fan grill on the front as well . I would reccomend installing some exhaust and intake fans , generally an intake at the back and at least an exhaust fan at the back . The fans have little arrows on them to show you the direction of airflow .

In terms of psu 500w should be enough, depends on the quality of the power supply as well though , if you got the power supply with the case I would be willing to be it isnt the best quality one and it might be worth upgrading for reliability .

500W is not enough for a powerful graphics card such as the 6870/6950. Recommended power supply is 550W and above. Also for cooling you can put a 1200mm fan on the side (if it provides space or has an area to allow fans) of the case facing the graphics card.

I think you mean 120mm :O :)

To the original poster (OP) if you are just upgrading to a new card, and are referencing a new cooler for the card, the answer would be "no" but if you want to add case fans, definitely pick out the highest CFM-rated fans (while keeping the noise level down, lower dBa = better for your ears!) and design the air flow intelligently. Don't just have every fan blowing air into the case, or sucking it out. Take some time to see where air can be sent with fans, and then buy accordingly (and install thus accordingly)

Oh snap, whoops, my bad, a 1.2m fan, no further cooling lol, yeah it would be ridculous and impractical.

Back
Top Bottom