Why Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bah, i say its all opinion. if you want to go to star bucks with your guy friends buy a mac. if you want to game and have fun buy a regular computer.

What i found recently that was fail is apple computers in movies. Sometimes they're not true apples, just a laptop with the glowing sticker. When they show the UI it's a windows UI, such as in eureka's recent episode where everyone listens to music and goes nuts.

I find it amusing that's all it takes to get rep for apple, the apple logo, not the actual apple computer. :( Guess no one checks if the laptop's actually running the os it's supposed to be running.

Has it ever occurred to you that the images you see are applied in post-production?

I guess i'm not allowed to say something i found amusing is all. All it takes apple is a small apple logo to advertize, doesn't even need to be the actual os either, post production or not. I guess next time i won't sy what i found that millions of others saw as well. I'm not even saying apple is bad in my post either.

You're confusing me there rmp5s :p Mac IS UNIX based, it uses an Apple-modified version of the UNIX kernel. Linux uses the Linux Kernel :p

Malware is only designed to attack one specific platform. A virus designed to affect UNIX won't effect Windows, and visa versa. It is true that there are considerably less viruses written to affect the Mac OS, but it also comes down to how well the software developers respond to new threats. For example, Windows was around for many years before Microsoft included much that was any good in terms of Security (Some could say they still haven't). Apple keep a tight ship to be fair to them, When they get information of a new threat to their platform, They will begin working on updates to provide immunity or at a minimum, protection.

I know...I said mac was unix based, as is linux. Linus Torvalds modified the Unix kernel and made it free to use. LINus UniX.

I know that (most) malware is platform dependant. That is my point. It's easier to get into a windows machine than a mac by design.

Fascinating thread. I hope that I can add some value, so here goes. No Operating System is perfect. Mac OS is restricted to using EXPENSIVE hardware, and having limited compatibility with programs since everybody writes code for Windows, as it is the pre-eminent platform. If I had $2500, I'd build an awesome (better) PC for $1500 and spend $1000 in Vegas. Now, if I were into video and other multimedia for editing PROFESSIONALLY, I'd get a Mac. So yeah, it's valid that when they make a new Shrek movie, everybody uses a Mac. But for me, an extra $1000+ isn't justified. Not worrying about viruses is nice, but that is cancelled by Mac's limitations for software that I use.

Thought I'd start a new paragraph for the following thoughts. The following is the definition of "Operating System":

"A computer software program designed to allow you to utilize your hardware and run software and applications on your computer hardware."

Windows does this, by letting you install windows on ANY HARDWARE (pretty much) and letting you run ANY SOFTWARE (pretty much). Mac makes you use their hardware (marked up 1000+) so it's almost considered firmware really.

In conclusion, do you do multimedia for a living? Get a Mac. Do you have money to burn and want virus protection at all costs even if you can't run all the programs you want? Get a Mac. Everybody else, and I mean EVERYBODY else, get a PC, and save the $1000+.

Fascinating thread. I hope that I can add some value, so here goes. No Operating System is perfect. Mac OS is restricted to using EXPENSIVE hardware, and having limited compatibility with programs since everybody writes code for Windows, as it is the pre-eminent platform. If I had $2500, I'd build an awesome (better) PC for $1500 and spend $1000 in Vegas. Now, if I were into video and other multimedia for editing PROFESSIONALLY, I'd get a Mac. So yeah, it's valid that when they make a new Shrek movie, everybody uses a Mac. But for me, an extra $1000+ isn't justified. Not worrying about viruses is nice, but that is cancelled by Mac's limitations for software that I use.

Thought I'd start a new paragraph for the following thoughts. The following is the definition of "Operating System":

"A computer software program designed to allow you to utilize your hardware and run software and applications on your computer hardware."

Windows does this, by letting you install windows on ANY HARDWARE (pretty much) and letting you run ANY SOFTWARE (pretty much). Mac makes you use their hardware (marked up 1000+) so it's almost considered firmware really.

In conclusion, do you do multimedia for a living? Get a Mac. Do you have money to burn and want virus protection at all costs even if you can't run all the programs you want? Get a Mac. Everybody else, and I mean EVERYBODY else, get a PC, and save the $1000+.

Well put. People that use them seem to love them. Maybe if I have a bunch of money to play with some day I'll pick one up to check it out. Until then, I might just make a hackintosh.

Fascinating thread. I hope that I can add some value, so here goes. No Operating System is perfect. Mac OS is restricted to using EXPENSIVE hardware, and having limited compatibility with programs since everybody writes code for Windows, as it is the pre-eminent platform.

I used to be an avid Windows user and all the software I used on that platform can be found on Mac OS 10.

Now, if I were into video and other multimedia for editing PROFESSIONALLY, I'd get a Mac.

That's a stereotype. Macs aren't necessarily better at video editing.

So yeah, it's valid that when they make a new Shrek movie, everybody uses a Mac.

DreamWorks uses HP workstations. Shrek was not created on a Mac.

But for me, an extra $1000+ isn't justified. Not worrying about viruses is nice, but that is cancelled by Mac's limitations for software that I use.

Excuse me, but $1000? Where are you getting that figure from?

You consider Mac OS 10 to be firmware? Really?

Again, where are you getting that figure from? I'd love to find out.

well my take on the debate is this I am a user of all three platforms . Have a mac laptop a windows desktop and occasionally use a linux desktop .so I am not just a mac fanboy ranting off about mac .

The reasons I bought a mac book pro where nothing to do with video editing or music production , and i don't use my mac for any heavy video editing or music production due to the size of the screen . I chose a mac because I wanted something with excellent build quality that looked good and both the os and the machine itself look amazingly beautiful and feel built to last .

I mainly use mine for university work which isn't demanding at all , writing papers and reading articles could be done on a 12 year old machine to be honest but would it look as good or last as long as my mac lugging it to the library and back daily .Ill also be honest with you before I bought the mac I had no real extensive use of mac os but i have picked it up pretty quickly its really not that hard if you use it enough you will learn simple as .

yes thats right i was being superficial in my choice of laptop so what ? im sure some people might say omg thats soo fake and materialistic what a douche , I say this , I have to look at it every day when I use it so I wanted something that is pleasant to look at fault me on that if you will but I will visually enjoy reading your reply on my beautiful macbook pro ;)

In terms of cost I got a decent student discount on my purchase . I could have bough a laptop of similar specification for less yes but it wouldn't have been made of aluminum , and it would have had lots of plastic flaps that in a few years would have started falling off the laptop .

To start with apple can justify the cost to me personally just on the basis that they have stores . and the stores have the best customer service I have experienced from any computer place more on this later

In terms of stores as well that clearly adds overheads to the operation that companies like dell and hp dont have to worry about as they deal by website or get other people to sell their stuff for them . It however enhances the sales experience as you can not only try before you buy but you can address all of your questions to someone who actually knows their stuff when it comes to the product .

myt experience with the stores has been fantastic
as i said I Have a mac book pro -bought it in march and it stopped charging , took it straight into my local apple store , not even the one I bought it in and they tested everything it was as i suspected the charger and they swapped it there and then no problems .
Just go back about 2 years I had a similar issue with a dell laptop had to ship the charger off taking a risk that my diagnosis was correct and also costing me shipping money which whilst I could eventually claim back I never bothered , I then had to wait for them to test it decide it was the charger and send me a replacement . the whole process took 18 days , during which time I was without a laptop . Im not saying that I wouldnt have been left without a laptop if my charging board had gone on the mac but I bet the instore repair would take a lot quicker than 18 days

The other issue is the operating system debate , it seems pretty obvious to me that if you make the hardware and the software you can create a much more streamlined system as well as a more reliable system . Not saying windows is unreliable but when you are trying to write an operating system that can potentially be used on a vast number of different hardware combinations you will face some problems somewhere along the line .

The operating system debate as well isn't anything to do with the pricing of other machines as IMO these manufacturers have no choice but to put windows on their machines . they could try a linux distro but they wouldn't sell that many machines .

Just to conclude , its a personal preference if you weigh up the pros and cons of it and dont like mac dont buy one simple as but please dont hate on other people that have bought one ,its like religion some people believe some people dont but once you start telling me I should or shouldn't believe we really wont get on its a personal preference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom