Why Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wondered what all the hoopla was about so a couple of years ago I bought a Mac. Cost me 2X what a comparable Windows machine would have cost. I used it for about 6 months but never really cared for OS X, it always seemed inconsistent, clunky and cartoonish to me. I installed VirtualBox and ran Win 7 there. I found I much preferred Win 7 so decided to sell the Mac.

I always heard that Macs hold their value. I put my less than 1 yr old Mac up for sale at 50% of what I had invested in it. No takers, but got offers at 20% of what I paid. Gave the Mac to my daughter who also didn't like it so I finally ended up trading it for a Toshiba laptop and felt I got the better end of the deal.

The thing I like least about Apple hardware is the piss poor performance of their wifi. With both the Mac and the iPod Touch I had they both needed to be almost on top of the router before they could connect. Every other wireless device we've ever used by other mfrs could connect to the router from anywhere in the house, the Apple products couldn't.

I have to chuckle regarding the wine analogy. I consider it to be a bit like the story of the "Emperor's New Clothes" where you have everyone oohing and aahing over some expensive wine and I'm the only one saying "but it tastes terrible, like all wines do". :D

I have always used Windows. I am constantly tempted to buy a MacBook pro because of the bells and whistles. But I am put of by the cost. For the price of a low end MacBook Pro I can buy a High end windows machine with better specifications. And anyway I don't think that Mac OS can provide the functionality that Windows 7 has.

Mac does not have virus because the market share of Mac is low and people who makes virus are looking for something which lots of people all over the world are using.

Wrong.

(Well, 95% wrong, actually just cuz I know SOMEONE will whip out their little pointer finger and wag it around saying "yea-huh...there are to fewer virus developers on mac than Windows!" which is true but that's not really the biggest reason why there is less malware for mac. Mac is loosely unix based like linux. Both OSs are more secure than windows by design. It's harder for things to get in. Most malware is installed by the user...it's what it can do after that that matters. Harder to penetrate mac. That's why there are less developers and, therefore, less viruses.)

You're confusing me there rmp5s :p Mac IS UNIX based, it uses an Apple-modified version of the UNIX kernel. Linux uses the Linux Kernel :p

Malware is only designed to attack one specific platform. A virus designed to affect UNIX won't effect Windows, and visa versa. It is true that there are considerably less viruses written to affect the Mac OS, but it also comes down to how well the software developers respond to new threats. For example, Windows was around for many years before Microsoft included much that was any good in terms of Security (Some could say they still haven't). Apple keep a tight ship to be fair to them, When they get information of a new threat to their platform, They will begin working on updates to provide immunity or at a minimum, protection.

oh no i might have to install a free virus protection program.. i dont see that as that much of a game changer.

Rage Reply- If it wasnt for windows! norton antivirus would have no employes! their fore ruining the economy more! mac wants to destroy the economy!!!
JOKE^

Whoa whoa whoa now...

Before we get the carriage in front of the horse, I really...honestly...LEGITIMATELY can't figure this one out. Let me explain:

I was on a plane yesterday and overheard one of the flight attendants talking to a passenger about "how AWESOME the new Sandy Bridge Macbook Pros are going to be" and it made me wonder. I went to the apple site and started snooping around and about pooped myself when I saw the 17" Macbook Pro starts at OVER TWENTY FIVE HUNDRED BUCKS! Whaaaaaaa!? I went to HP's site and looked at their 17" Envy machine. I configured one with twice the RAM, a hard drive that is 250 gb bigger than the Mac's, a full hd 3D monitor, and a blu-ray player (and maybe a better video card and/or CPU...not sure. Hard to find specs on the Mac's CPU other than basic clock speed and I haven't thoroughly compared graphics ability yet) for a hair under 1700. That's close to a $900 difference.

This really made me wonder why people buy Macs. I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything stupid. I just really don't get why people would do this. Can someone shed some light on what I'm missing here?

Thanks!

Have you ever used one? If you had, then you'd probably know.

Also - Sandy Bridge Macbook pro's have been out since feburary. I know it wasn't you that said otherwise... but I just wanted to point it out.

That's way more opinion than fact. I could not do my job on a Mac as there is no viable replacement for visual studio that is supported by Apple.

Well if Windows didn't exist, then you wouldn't NEED Visual Studio. Apple's equivalent is XCode, BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom