Why Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just upgraded one of my machines. Looks fine so far. Worth the update price, but I wouldn't pay anything above it.

i argued this point with my cousin, he said that art schools expect you to have a mac.

Why not just be good at whatever they use instead? If i can do the same a mac user does on a program like photoshop, then what does it matter in the end if i get the same quality of work done?

Above was just an example. I'm pretty sure photoshop's for the mac since i have tried it on windows. I wanted to go with the whole picture editor thing between the two. And yes, it's a question, not a statement.

Darkseeker: their future is definite at this point. They have posted record growth and profits based almost solely on mobile device sales. However, I do see that changing eventually: Android vs iOS reminds me a LOT of Windows vs Mac. I would rather have google stock than apple stock, however, both are valuable and worth having and will continue to be valuable well into the foreseeable future.

What Krone is talking about is the reason I bring this whole thing up in the first place...that and I have a LOT of free time right now. Why do people swear by Macs? I'd like to ask that school why the students are expected to have mac hardware. Is it specific software requirements? Why couldn't I make a hackintosh and use that? (And there is no way putting Mac OS on non-mac hardware is "illegal" If the software is legally obtained.) These would be interesting questions for the school/instructors.

And now...who has read about the Macbook Air changes? I must say that THIS is now something I would buy. Real hardware - core i5/i7, up to 4 gb ddr3 - in something that small...starting at a grand?! Now that is impressive. If the Pro machines were...say...500-700 bucks cheaper, they too would make sense. They're nice machines with decent enough hardware...they just cost way way way too much. The Air on the other hand I could probably pick up to monkey around with and not lose sleep over, even though I do NOT like Steve Jobs, the company's "business practices" or the whole "look at me, I have a mac" thing that I feel goes along with their products.

Jeez...I say good things about Apple then see that you don't even get an ethernet port on the new Air machines...bit of a pain but ok, whatever, it kinda makes sense since the thing is so small. Then I see their rj-45 adaptor is thirty bucks!?...and it's not even 1000baseT!?!? Wow...

And, in the same vein as the "counterfeit purses" idea:

The Ultimate Knock-Off: A Fake Apple Store - Digits - WSJ

LOL!!!

Mac does not have virus because the market share of Mac is low and people who makes virus are looking for something which lots of people all over the world are using.

The whole point of the MacBook Air is to be completely untethered and ultra-portable. There's a reason why it doesn't come with an Ethernet port, even though Macs have had gigabit Ethernet standard for years now across all their product lines. The same can't be said for HP or Dell.

If the Pro machines were...say...500-700 bucks cheaper, they too would make sense. They're nice machines with decent enough hardware...they just cost way way way too much.

How about you compare the MacBook Pro to a comparable machine - say the Lenovo ThinkPad T-Series or Sony's VAIO lineup? It's an entirely different audience they're targeting. I think once you pick one up, you can understand why it commands the price that it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom