Why Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, and to be fair, he could probably have searched the forum for the other hundreds of Mac discussions that get started so often.

One going on right now on another. It started as a profit thread and ended in a "mac's crap pc better." came out of no where.

The only thing that keeps freakin' ticking me off is the term "PC" God dang people A MAC IS A PC. Call it a "windows based computer" instead of "PC" or something.. If we call macs mac because of their .. uhh.. os? then call pc's windows or something because of their os... I don't know, something.

One going on right now on another. It started as a profit thread and ended in a "mac's crap pc better." came out of no where.

The only thing that keeps freakin' ticking me off is the term "PC" God dang people A MAC IS A PC. Call it a "windows based computer" instead of "PC" or something.. If we call macs mac because of their .. uhh.. os? then call pc's windows or something because of their os... I don't know, something.

PC OSes: Windows, OS X, Unix, Linux

IBM Compatible PCs: Windows

Maybe it's late but what are you saying? That they call it PC because ibm does and it only runs windows?

The terms has largly died out, but during the 90s; Windows was considered to be 'IBM Compatible' (Compatible with the 80s and 90s IBM PCs, which ran MS-DOS i think). The term sort of died out, because most computers these days can be considered 'compatible' - but IBM did essentially 'make' Microsoft (Bill gates bought MS-DOS because he was asked to make an OS by IBM).

Oh.. So they coined the term back then and then because the "ibm pc" ran only windows and every company but apple/linux uses windows, it's a "pc?"

Ok, Darkseeker:

1. Just because a movie was mastered on Mac makes the whole OS the end all be all? In the case, Win XP is God's personal OS. XP is what...11 years old or something now yet still has, like...60% of all computer OS market share? The numbers are far from exact but you get the point...TONS of amazing stuff is done on windows and linux. I was more wondering WHY Mac is used for this you're of stuff so often...sworn by, even.

2. This makes no sense...at all.

3. Now this is interesting. I've read similar things around the net since my original post as well. I've seen some pretty old pcs that can run win 7 ok, but definitely not great. I might have to "troll" ebay for an old mac to mess with.

4. Constancy is a but of a moot point in this case since I was referring to Apple's current lineup. Vista was a turd though. And what the HELL was Win ME?!

5. True. By design, it is more secure than windows. However, Windows 7, if kept properly updated is very secure. I didn't even run any anti-malware software on my Win 7 netbook to conserve resources and had no issues. The vast majority of malware is installed by the user...be smart and keep up to date and you have very, very little to worry about with 7. And, if you want to be the most secure, nothing beats Linux.

6. True. From what I understand, Apple's customer service is pretty good.

7. I assume, instead of repeating what you said in 3, you mean more physically durable here. Um...sure I guess...how durable does a machine REALLY need to be? I think a metal computer is overkill. I've seen some regular machines that were BEAT DOWN that still worked fine...and, even if it is made of metal, I still don't wanna drop it. The whole "made from a solid piece of aluminum" deal seems very gimmicky to me. I'm going to completely ignore the "built to overheat" comment due to it just being plain dumb.

I don't see the Envy coming to your shop any time soon. It's a good machine. That and I don't have one...but I want one. Even if something does happen to one of my boxes, keep the business card...I do my own work.

Some of the little things they do are BRILLIANT! Some are, again, seem a bit gimmick-ish to me:

The magnetic charging thing is an example of sheer GENIUS!

The keyboards are whatever...I'm not picky...a keyboard is a keyboard. My CR-48 has a spaced keyboard and sure, it's fine to type on but it's far from a $900 upsell in my eyes.

A glass bezel? Who cares?

No fan holes? Really? so...??

I've heard mixed things about the screens. However...the HP I mention (which was just an example...I'm not saying it's the best thing ever...) has a full hd 3D screen and a blu-ray player to take advantage of said hardware. The MBP does not have either.

Multitouch...friggin multitouch. I don't care if it's on my phone and I REALLY don't care if it's on my friggin puter...

Backlit keyboard? I know where the keys are. Never got why a backlit keyboard was helpful unless you didn't know how to type and lived in a cave.

Battery life is pretty bad ass. True true.

Ok, boxxee...enough of the "trolling" claims. You sure made a long reply if it was just trolling.

Despite your semi-fanboy-esq, snide reply, I did get a bit of a useful answer to my question. Battery life, longevity and the "little things" justify the extra coin for people.

However, the best reply here was the one about the wine. Utterly brilliant analogy. VERY well put. That shed more light on the subject than that whole monster reply from Darkseeker.

Oh...and...stop all the ridiculous "a windows computer shouldn't be called a pc when they are both personal computers" crap. Apple referred to "Windows computers" as "a PC" in their own friggin "I'm a Mac" commercials. Yes. They are both "personal computers"...we all know that. Who cares?

I wondered what all the hoopla was about so a couple of years ago I bought a Mac. Cost me 2X what a comparable Windows machine would have cost. I used it for about 6 months but never really cared for OS X, it always seemed inconsistent, clunky and cartoonish to me. I installed VirtualBox and ran Win 7 there. I found I much preferred Win 7 so decided to sell the Mac.

I always heard that Macs hold their value. I put my less than 1 yr old Mac up for sale at 50% of what I had invested in it. No takers, but got offers at 20% of what I paid. Gave the Mac to my daughter who also didn't like it so I finally ended up trading it for a Toshiba laptop and felt I got the better end of the deal.

The thing I like least about Apple hardware is the piss poor performance of their wifi. With both the Mac and the iPod Touch I had they both needed to be almost on top of the router before they could connect. Every other wireless device we've ever used by other mfrs could connect to the router from anywhere in the house, the Apple products couldn't.

I have to chuckle regarding the wine analogy. I consider it to be a bit like the story of the "Emperor's New Clothes" where you have everyone oohing and aahing over some expensive wine and I'm the only one saying "but it tastes terrible, like all wines do". :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom