Why Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rmp5s

In Runtime
Whoa whoa whoa now...

Before we get the carriage in front of the horse, I really...honestly...LEGITIMATELY can't figure this one out. Let me explain:

I was on a plane yesterday and overheard one of the flight attendants talking to a passenger about "how AWESOME the new Sandy Bridge Macbook Pros are going to be" and it made me wonder. I went to the apple site and started snooping around and about pooped myself when I saw the 17" Macbook Pro starts at OVER TWENTY FIVE HUNDRED BUCKS! Whaaaaaaa!? I went to HP's site and looked at their 17" Envy machine. I configured one with twice the RAM, a hard drive that is 250 gb bigger than the Mac's, a full hd 3D monitor, and a blu-ray player (and maybe a better video card and/or CPU...not sure. Hard to find specs on the Mac's CPU other than basic clock speed and I haven't thoroughly compared graphics ability yet) for a hair under 1700. That's close to a $900 difference.

This really made me wonder why people buy Macs. I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything stupid. I just really don't get why people would do this. Can someone shed some light on what I'm missing here?

Thanks!

You see that apple on the back? You do? Good, that's where $800 go to.. The other (A good reason) is the house it's in. Yes, i like the metal house, but at least it lasts longer for a slight extra cost...

You see that alien head on your computer? You do? Good, that's another "apple" company, but they do what apple does with metal cases to their light shows... They look awesome, but you can just do the same on frozencpu.com anyhow...

Really, it's just the name, same with purses. It's something you learn in micro economics early on. That's really where the other amount of money goes to, the name. Oh, and i made up the nmuber prices. I just wanted to choose numbers that would get a point across. I have no clue where the money goes to.

Nah...I disagree. I know they've turned into status symbols and like the purses (good analogy...maybe I should start making copies of macs and sell them at Puter Parties...lol) that does draw a premium price. I disagree because of all the reasonably knowledgeable tech people that swear by them despite their hardware inferiority. They should "know better". Hell...get a puter, PUT OS X on it, slap an Apple sticker over the hp/dell/whatever logo and be happy with the 900 bucks you saved. That would never do though.

The reason I don't think it's just the logo, and the reason I ask the question to begin with is this: "I do a lot of photo editing" or "I do a lot of music production" is what people say. They gotta have that apple if you ask them. Windows machines are not made for this...obviously...

But...I do lots of music production on a 2 yr old windows machine...and it works fine...? I paid 80 bucks for it. Old school Intel Core 2 Quad CPU and 4gb RAM (not even DDR3!). Nothing fancy. That HP laptop I mention earlier is WAY more powerful than my machine. It would do everything I do now without even almost breaking a sweat.

So...again...why mac? The Apple on the outside doesn't make the music or edit the photos...the hardware does yet people, even reasonably "in the know" people, swear by them.

Aside from the fan boys and other morons that buy them because they're cool or trendy or whatever, why do people buy them? Are they really that good? Do they really do something better than a windows or linux machine can?

Excellent software and hardware integration. As for krone6, his post is so full of shit I'm not going to even bother. Either you get it or you don't.

Sigh, why does this topic keep coming up...

1. Mac OS X is -much- better than Windows. So much so, that most of Harry Potter was edited, dubbed and mastered on a room full of Mac Pros, because the OS has basically 0 background crap, so no sluggishness, and programs like Final Cut Pro (designed entirely for Mac OS) provided you have the spec, run seamlessly.

2. Mac OS X is a full OS that only costs £30, so they need to make their money somewhere.

3. I've still got a Mac from 2001 in my room, that works perfectly - the oldest working Windows machine ive seen that can actually be 'used' was probably 2004ish

4. Consistency - Yes i admit, Windows 7 is good, but before 7 was Vista, which they seemed to stick at for several years eventhough it was crap. Vista SP1 wasn't any better, it just made it feel less like drowning in wallpaper paste. Mac OS has some bugs when new versions are released, but within a couple of weeks, updates and patches come out that make it much better, much faster. And, 10.1 through 10.6 have all been brilliant once the initial little bugs are removed.

5. Virus-resistant - It's not virus immune, but its rare to find a mac virus or mac spyware. as soon as Apple hear about a new threat, they set out defending against it. That's more than can be said for Microsoft.

6. Better support - From Shopfronts to call centers. Apple's PR > Microsoft's PR

7. Longevity - Like i said before, they're built to last, instead of being built to overheat in a few years so you have to buy another one, COUGH HP.

So, you spend £999 up to a couple thousand, but you won't spend that again too quickly. Whereas when your HP Envy comes into my shop with a dead board or fried GPU - I wont go easy on you >:)

Oh, and there are a few little things that Apple do, that no one else does.

MagSafe
Spaced Keyboards
Glass Bezel on the LCD panels
Super-bright, super high res screens. (I mean, the iMac looks amazing, even when it's bootcamped with Windows)
Unibody - no stupid fans on the bottom that you block with your legs.
Multitouch that WORKS - Windows laptops just fail at it over and over again.
Keyboard backlighting - i think this should be on every laptop, but it isn't.
Superdrive - no floppy plastic there.
10-hour battery? on a laptop with a reasonable spec and decent CPU? yes please. It's one thing to put 10 hours on an Atom, something else entirely to do it to a Core 2 Duo or an i5.

Oh and btw, i'd call that trolling tbh, you knew eventually someone (in this case it was 01001010, is just going to call you shitheads and leave it at that)

Excellent software and hardware integration. As for krone6, his post is so full of shit I'm not going to even bother. Either you get it or you don't.

How? Just saying something you learn from a basic economics class. It states that companies try to make products look better than others and have them "name branded" to sell at a higher profit. They're exactly the same, but because they're sold differently they can sell at a higher cost. People believe it and the company makes more money. If you're talking about buying the alien head or apple thing i used fake numbers to get a point across. I had so much sarcasm in there it was only to be taken some what serious. I don't work for apple so it's not like i really know where that $900 goes to. Maybe they overprice or not, i wouldnt know, i just go off of them advertizing the heck out of the product and going nuts over the name. We all know they sell the name more than the product. That's like a "jenny kreg" or whatever purse not being sold for jenny kreg.

I mean, rather than trolling a forum that is largely impartial, why not just look at what Apple say, they're not lying

Apple - Why You

Is that to the op?

Wow, they say it DOESN'T (hint the does not part) get viruses. They didn't even say it "doesn't get as many".... it has got a virus in the past. I don't know how many but 1 is still more than 0.

Why do they say "latest tech" if they're just getting around to refreshing with sandy bridge? Maybe i'm missing something but hasn't sandy bridge been out for months?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom