My New Rig and First Build. Post Questions :D

NeXuS1

Fully Optimized
My New Rig and First Build. Post-Build Questions :D

So pulled the trigger upgrading from my old Dell XPS 410 e6400. Wow what a difference in performance. Build went good just had trouble mounting the damn CPU kuhler its quite tricky and I was afraid of damaging somehing in the process.

So I got a few question, it seems my 3rd core is runing about +10C hotter than the 1st, and around 5C-7C then the 2nd and 4th. I read that differences in temp can vary on the cores but if its 10C I may need to repply the thermal paste. Since it was not evenly spread? Is this true? I got some artic silver 5 but I used the one that came preapplied on the cpu cooler. Right now runing on 4.38GHz OCed planing on trying to ge to 5.0 will it be possible with my cooler?

CPU - Intel i7 2600k @4.38GHz
CPU Cooler - Antec Kuhler 920
Memory - 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz (@1666MHz dunno why?)
Mobo - ASUS P8P67 Pro Rev 3.0
Video Card - eVGA GTX 570 HD DS (800MHz/1950MHz OC)
HD - 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
PSU - Corsair HX850W Pro Series Modular
Case - Antec 902 V3
CD/DVD Drive - ASUS DRW

Here some pics.

All the boxes, felt like christmas
5940081941_8cfc2d1e01_b.jpg

Test Build Yay it posted :D
5940465559_ab7dcf29b2_b.jpg

And Finished!
5941729367_f8d532cae2_b.jpg

Thermal separation among individual cores can vary depending on how far along a manufacturer is with their process technology. I have a dual core AMD 6000+ at home that always had one core that ran hotter than the other by about 8-10C, but it never had any issues. I've also had CPUs where all four cores never deviated on temps. It's just the luck of the draw really.

Not sure about the OC myself, I don't do much OC'ing with the Intels.

You say the 3rd core is running 10C hotter, but is it still in the cool to normal range? As long as none of the cores are running hotter than what is specified as normal for your particular processor then you should be fine.

Yeah it is still cool reached about 75C on Prime95 torture test others remainted in 60's and low 70's.

Do you guys think reapplying Artic Silver 5 will lower the temps a bit vs the preapplied thermal paste the cooler came in?

OCed to 4.38GHz atm ran prime95 for 9hrs no errors :cool:

I kinda doubt that reapplying thermal compound will make much of a difference, but if you already have some arctic silver then it won't cost you anything to try.

Alright so I did apply it correctly? Since 10C difference in temps is normal then??

I have no idea how you applied the thermal compound, but if it's not overheating then I would say that's close enough. Especially if you overclock and it still doesn't overheat. I only say reapply if you're a perfectionist or are just really curious...

Well it came preapplied on the cooler :D

Bought some Artic Silver 5 just in case I would screw up or something :p

Thank you :D

Came out total of $1536.30 including shipping and taxes. Got some good deals, but sucks about tax since newegg is located in california :(

Back
Top Bottom