Need help diagnosing hardware issue.

master5879

Beta member
Hey guys,

I've been having issues with my computer lately. Every time I'm playing some sort of game either the game crashes or the computer gives me a blue screen memory dump error. Following this, when i go to try and reboot the computer doesnt post. I end up having to force shut down and cutting power to the power supply and waiting a few mins for things, then i try restarting it after some time has passed.

Originally i thought it was a RAM issue so i ran a memory check. It said that there was an error, so i took one RAM stick out and performed the mem check and it said that that RAM stick was fine. I switched it out with the other one and performed the mem check and it said that one was fine.. It's only when the two are together that there is an error that comes up. I'm just curious as to what the problem could be. I think it's a motherboard issue but I was hoping someone with a little more experience could confirm it or give me some other tips to diagnose the problem in case it's something else.

Thanks a lot for your help with this.

Did you run memtest86+ for 10 passes? (usually 12 hours) if not, you didn't do a good memory test if it only 5 passes or so.

Memory aside, what are you temps on idle and load? What's the ambient temp? Is there a rat's nest of cables blocking airflow? Could be many things, we'll start with these for now.

Ok so I checked for dust bunnies. I originally thought that might be the problem and cleaned out my computer to see if it would help and it didnt unfortunately. I've checked to make sure wires werent tangled up too much and blocking airflow.

As for the temperatures i've been looking online for tools that could give me readings. I tried the ATITool but it didnt work properly for some reason. It said it required a signature and that it probably wouldnt work properly is what windows 7 was telling me. If you have any suggestions on tools that can help give me the readouts your looking for I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm going to perform the memtest86+ test right now overnight so hopefully i can get back to you on that one tomorrow.

Thank you so much for all your help. This has been bothering me for a long time.

i had the same problem and i believe it is a motherboard problem, i cant run in dual channel mode either anymore and nobody can really explain why.It could be time to get a new motherboard.

Honestly, I think it's a motherboard issue too. But I just wanted to try and double checking things before i start investing more money into it.

UPDATE:

I've been running the memtest86+ for over 12 hours now and it's still doing the same thing. I'm wondering if it's really performing the test or not, or if maybe the CD didnt burn the ISO correctly. The same sequence of numbers and letters just keeps popping up. It updates, but with the same sequence each time. Not sure if that's what's supposed to happen or not.

If memtest runs for 12 hours and hasn't restarted (it'll say "iterations" or "loops" on the screen - if that number is more than 0, ideally 8+) then you'll be fine and the test is working as it should be.

If Memtest has been running for 12 hours and it looks like it's still on the first pass, then yes, your system is restarting during the test and that's highly suspicious of a failure somewhere.

Yeah that's what it kept doing just kept doing the same loop as if it was restarting each time. Maybe it didnt burn correctly on the CD... I'm going to try again, on another CD.

Have you checked your power supply to see if all voltages are within specs? It may be fine but I have seen power supplies that would cause this issue. If you have a multimeter handy, disconnect all of your power connectors and check the voltage : red- 5V, yellow-12V, orange-3.3V, black is ground so put your black lead to any black wire. I guess a better question would be what kind of system are we dealing with here? Can you give us specs please?

Back
Top Bottom