what to install first: service packs or drivers?

gib65

Baseband Member
I just installed a copy of Windows XP on a computer. The CD was not the original that came with the computer. It includes SP1 but not SP2 or SP3.

Needless to say, a lot of the drivers are not installed. I was able to download the drivers from the manufacturer's website and I was able to download SP2 and SP3 from Microsoft's website.

My question is: which is the best order to install these? Should I install the drivers first and then the service packs or visa-versa? Or does it matter?

Your best bet is to install the service packs first. They may very well include the drivers. But it really doesn't matter. Just make sure you get windows fully updated before you do anything else on the internet. You are highly vulnerable to infection/attack with Windows XP Service Pack 1.

Your best bet is to install the service packs first.
Not true. Look back at Vista and now in Windows 7, both had some driver issues when they released SP1. Vista even went as far as to not show the service pack in the windows update utility until you had drivers that were compatible.

In my own experience, it's better install drivers because these are provided and updated by the manufacturer.

XP service packs may contain outdated versions, but when the outdated version is that of the manufacturer, the service pack will simply updated those drivers.

However if you install outdated drivers first and then the manufacturer's, the system may come with the warning that you are about to replace original Microsoft files with other versions, unless you have disabled this annoying feature.

Drivers first,

Without drivers being installed some of your hardware capabilities might not be recognised, without the driver being there or the capability being recognised you may not even get the updated driver from the service pack.

Back
Top Bottom