Check my build? :)

Nermid

Beta member
I'm not a general user of this forum, as you can undoubtedly see. I have never built a computer before, but after much research I have come up with a set-up that I think should work well for me. If anyone could comment or verify on any part of this set-up I would be greatly appreciative :)

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3
CPU: Intel i5-2500k, 3.3GHz, 6MB Cache
GPU: XFX Radeon 6870
Mem: 2 x 2GB Corsair 1600MHz
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB, 7200RPM, 32MB
Drive: Optiarc AD-7260S-0B 24x SATA
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-500CXUK 500W
Case: Casecom MA-1199

Any help and or verification is greatly appreciated!

Cheers :D

The only thing I would change is the power supply, but only because I would feel a little skittish using that system on only 500 watts. I usually build systems like that with a minimum of 600-650 watts. Any more than that is overkill however. Not familiar with the case myself, but it looks fairly decent.

If you don't plan on overclocking, drop in an i5-2500 (notice the lack of the letter "k" on the end there) - you can save a few bucks if you don't mind not having the unlocked multiplier.

Thanks for you input! I'll check out some more PSU's. Could you recommend any fairly good budgetty ones? The Corsair one I have proposed costs about £50 so I would expect to pay just bit more than that for 600-650W I suppose. Also, I'm intrigued as to how you go about determining the wattage required in a PSU for a build like this. I checked the GPU and cPU, and supposedly it's max requirement is about 255W and 95W respectively, but wasn't sure about other components.

And yeah, I will get the standard i5-2500, didn't think about the unlocked capability. I have little intention of over-clocking, would it be inadvisable to with this motherboard anyway?

Thanks again! Your help is really appreciated :)

Looks good to me. I've never used Barracuda before, usually Western Digital, let me know if they are a good brand. I was looking at TB HDD's and they go for about $55 on Newegg.com. I'll probably get one next time

Thanks for you input! I'll check out some more PSU's. Could you recommend any fairly good budgetty ones? The Corsair one I have proposed costs about £50 so I would expect to pay just bit more than that for 600-650W I suppose. Also, I'm intrigued as to how you go about determining the wattage required in a PSU for a build like this. I checked the GPU and cPU, and supposedly it's max requirement is about 255W and 95W respectively, but wasn't sure about other components.

And yeah, I will get the standard i5-2500, didn't think about the unlocked capability. I have little intention of over-clocking, would it be inadvisable to with this motherboard anyway?

Thanks again! Your help is really appreciated :)

The reason is that the lower you can load up a power supply, the easier time it has at not only being efficient, but the less stress you put on it, the longer it'll last. Power supplies get some of their best efficiency ratings in the 50-80% load ranges, so I try to "overbuy" but not to the point of insanity. I have a friend who has a system with a 1200 watt PSU, and he has absolutely no need for it, he probably uses only about 400-450 of that.

You could do the 500 watt and be ok, especially with a Corsair unit (which is who I would recommend anyway) so you could still buy it and be ok - it was just a suggestion, your build looks fine overall.

Back
Top Bottom