Error Booting Windows

stuiedaman

Baseband Member
I have a custom computer that I have been using for a little under a year, in which I bought used in great condition. The computer is running Windows 7 enterprise. Just a little while ago, I started receiving this message every time I try to boot up:

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.

I can't boot into safe mode because this error is just before that screen. At first, I thought it was a hard drive failure and read around the net and most places were pointing towards that. So I decided to hook my hard drive up to an external enclosure and test it on my laptop. The hard drive worked fine, not any slower than usual or any errors. Was it my CD-ROM drive? I disconnected it and booted up with the hard drive back in. Same error. Are there any tests I can run or solutions to my problem? Thank you so much for your time viewing this post and helping me solve my issue!

Is there anything in the CD drive that the BIOS is trying to boot from ? you say that its before it boots windows thus suggesting that its trying to boot from something else. have you removed all devices connected such as any USB devices. try booting with just the core devices. if possible just use on-board graphics if your board has it. if this works you could then add components to see what could be causing this.

you could also try these steps

Method 1: Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore
======================================================
1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer.
2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.
3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next.
4. Click Repair your computer.
5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next
6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.
7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the appropriate restore point.
8. Click Finish to restore the system.

Method 2: Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)
======================================================
1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer.
2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.
3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next.
4. Click Repair your computer.
5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next.
6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.
7. (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next.
8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair

Do any of the following, error will be removed
1. Restore your window to some previous day when you think it was working fine
2. Or the other solution is to install a fresh copy of windows again

@arsenalbates
Nothing in the disc tray. Tried disconnecting the cd drive and still same error. Could it be trying to boot to the cd, even when it's unplugged? The only devices connected to the USB ports are a wireless keyboard and an LED sensor (for a remote). The only extra onboard device I have is a TV tuner card, which has been working on my computer ever since I installed it right after I bought it. I guess I could try reinstalling, but would definitely be some work and cause me to lose data. I know I CAN back everything up but some things, like programs, I would have to redownload. I would like to reserve this as a last resort. It might not even solve the issue. I could use this as a good point to install full Windows 7. Mine isn't genuine.

Back
Top Bottom