Installing apps as non-Admin with Admin creds

7D8

In Runtime
I'm runnign Win 7 Ultimate and i have two accounts:

• Administrator - part of admin group
  • UserAccount - not admin group, part of Users group

When logged in as UserAccount, and trying to install something, I would like it to ask the Admin user/pass. Instead I am getting "You can't do thsi beacuse you are not admin". Any suggestions?

If you need to install software from a regular user group account, then you need to give that user local admin rights. Either that or run linux as your OS.

If you need to install software from a regular user group account, then you need to give that user local admin rights. Either that or run linux as your OS.

but making a user a local admin would allow him/her to install stuff, yes/no?

Microsoft want everyone to use limited user accounts in Windows 7, even the admins, and just have a pass-protected admin account on the PC or domain and elevate permissions when necessary. This is supposed to stop malware automatically gaining admin rights, should one of the accounts be compromised; this is what UAC was intended to help with.

In reality, it's impractical, annoying and ineffective. Since you're using windows 7, you should be able to right-click and run as admin on .exe or .msi files.

Microsoft want everyone to use limited user accounts in Windows 7, even the admins, and just have a pass-protected admin account on the PC or domain and elevate permissions when necessary. This is supposed to stop malware automatically gaining admin rights, should one of the accounts be compromised; this is what UAC was intended to help with.

In reality, it's impractical, annoying and ineffective. Since you're using windows 7, you should be able to right-click and run as admin on .exe or .msi files.

sooooo....

When logged in as UserAccount, and trying to install something, I would like it to ask the Admin user/pass. Instead I am getting "You can't do thsi beacuse you are not admin". Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom