Computer will not load Linux

iPwn

..m.0,0.m..,
Hey all,
I've run into a problem on my desktop... I cannot load any form of Linux. The computer will boot into the Linux install menu but then when launching Linux (I've tried Ubuntu/Kubuntu 9.10/10.04/11.04 and Fedora 15)
Every distribution will stop loading. With the Ubuntu releases, I got an error once that I may need to flash my "ROM", curious it didn't display "BIOS". It then loads a prompt with the "Ubuntu@ubuntu:" Prompt and I'm not Linux savvy enough to go from there.
With Fedora, I received an error that it couldn't mount ATA1/ATA2 or device 0,0.
I've run Memtest with the Fedora CD and passed 100%.

This is a new problem as I used to dual boot Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows 7 but am now unable to install Linux, even the Windows Wubi installer, on my machine.

Any suggestions? I plan on flashing my BIOS later today as well...

Edit: Okay maybe not, there's no new BIOS for my system... Any ideas?

I'm just curious, have you tried installing Windows on this machine? Maybe Windows error messages will be more descriptive. Kinda sounds like a hard drive issue, though.

I have Windows up and running without issue so no descriptive errors :(

Did you just install Windows or was it already installed before? I would be curious to see if Windows gave any errors during installation as opposed to just simply running the OS.

I actually just reformatted Windows two days ago.

Edit: After doing a little digging, it would appear that the issue is with my Graphics card and I need Ultimate Edition to boot into Safe Graphics mode. Will post back with Results.

Graphics card? I would have never guessed that to be the issue. Yeah, post the results. This might be interesting....

So I tried Ultimate Edition 2.9 (Which no longer has Safe Graphics Mode) so I went back to Kubuntu 9.10 and ran Safe Graphics Mode. No luck, got halfway through the install then through some generic bad disc error. Sigh... Anyone have a distribution of Linux that would work with the Radeon 5670?

This thread seems to show a solution for getting Ubuntu to work with the card, but that is with an existing installation.

This snippet from here might help:

the safe graphics mode has been removed from Ub 10.04.

Use F6 and then xforcevesa as a generic safe graphics mode.

This thread seems to show a solution for getting Ubuntu to work with the card, but that is with an existing installation.

This snippet from here might help:

the safe graphics mode has been removed from Ub 10.04.

Use F6 and then xforcevesa as a generic safe graphics mode.

I found that as well and didn't find the xforcevesa on any of my installation discs. So I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04.02 (I had Kubuntu 10.04) and it didn't have a boot menu at all (at least nowhere that I could press F6 like the other installations) but, it worked!! Now I'm just downloading the KDE environment. Thanks for the replies!

iPwn,

I will have to look into this some. I am not an expert by any means but I should be able to find out something that will point you in the right direction. If I may can you tell me if you would like to run Ubuntu, or Fedora more, this will help me narrow down the search parameters.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom