A question of legality

cboucher

Fully Optimized
Is it technically legal to post someone's name and picture on craigslist (or a similar website) in an effort to track this person down? Here's the deal, my wife's bicycle was stolen from in front of the small convenience store where she works. We put up flyers with pictures of the bike in the store and around the neighborhood. She also questioned a bunch of customers in the store. Long story short, we have several witnesses who gave us the name of the guy who is riding around the neighborhood on my wife's bike. So, we found him in the local high school yearbook, got his picture and confirmed his identity with the witnesses. So here's the legal question: We posted flyers all over the neighborhood with his picture and his name along with a picture of the bike. I also posted an ad on craigslist with his name and picture and details about the stolen bike. Is it technically legal to post someone's name and picture online with regards to a crime? Does it make a difference that he's a minor? I'm just curious...

i wouldnt know but you should still post the ad anyway

Oh, we did. Not only that, but if you look around the neighborhood you'll see this douchebag's face and name on flyers all over the place.

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;1092555 said:
No, look up defamation of character. In a court of law the burden of proof is on you and don't be surprised if you find a counter claim against you.

Actually, I'm hoping he does complain. If he does, he would have to come out of hiding and put himself on the cop's radar. All we need is the guy's address and my wife gets her bike back...

so you know that the guy is local and you know his name.

Go to the police and let them sort it out, don't do stupid things leaving yourself to him coming back at you with the polices support.

so you know that the guy is local and you know his name.

Go to the police and let them sort it out, don't do stupid things leaving yourself to him coming back at you with the polices support.

That's the problem that no one seems to get. We've contacted the police, but they won't do anything until we've done all the leg work. Maybe if we lived in Mayberry the police would be a bit more helpful...

You've got their name, description, town of residence, what more do they want?

They have the police computer, typing in a name and getting an address can't be that hard!

go look the guys name up in a phone book (the ones that still have addresses in them), then just steal the bike back. That'll get the police interested!

You've got their name, description, town of residence, what more do they want?

They have the police computer, typing in a name and getting an address can't be that hard!

go look the guys name up in a phone book (the ones that still have addresses in them), then just steal the bike back. That'll get the police interested!

I hear what you're saying. We've done everything you mentioned plus a lot more that you probably wouldn't think of doing (like looking up the local high school yearbook at the library, that's how we found his picture and confirmed his name). Addresses are hard to find these days. As for the police, they are totally uninterested in helping us. Plus, due to budget cutbacks, the police station is only open Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Seriously, if you want to commit a crime come over to my city.

Back
Top Bottom