Computer screen distorts and image goes away?

jd299

Beta member
Had this problem since this morning. I turn on the computer and everything's fine. After around 10 minutes of using it, the screen turns black and the "auto-adjust" in the monitor turns on, and then you kinda see the black screen a little distorted on the edges, with trash around but still everything black. Then I turn the computer off and back on, and the image's fine again. But after a while the same thing happens. I'm guessing the video card is dying?

It's a Dell Dimension 4600, 2GB ram, p4 2.8 Ghz, and a ati radeon x1600 video card (AGP).

Thinking it might be RAM too since if I'm listening to something before this happens, the sound completely stops when it happens.

Can't narrow this one down more without testing a few things.

Find another monitor cable and replace the one you're using. Does it still do the same thing?

Try another monitor. Does it also exhibit the same problem?

If both of the above don't help, then yes, could be a video card issue, but then I'd want to look at other things like power supply and heat (dusty?) Just some things to try out first.

Can't narrow this one down more without testing a few things.

Find another monitor cable and replace the one you're using. Does it still do the same thing?

Try another monitor. Does it also exhibit the same problem?

If both of the above don't help, then yes, could be a video card issue, but then I'd want to look at other things like power supply and heat (dusty?) Just some things to try out first.
Actually I'm gonna try removing the AGP card and then trying the onboard video first. I suspect that's why it wasn't working (the onboard video).

Solved. It was that!

Also, the reason the card's giving problems is the fan's not spinning anymore.

Back
Top Bottom