Will this motherboard support DDR3?

Shadyf0o

Solid State Member
I'm interested in upgrading my ram, but i'm not sure if my motherboard supports ddr 3. I have a dx4300 gateway computer. I've upgraded the power supply and the GPU as of now. It is currently running with the stock ram.

Well, I suppose DDR 2 gets the job done. Unrelated question: I have an AMD Phenom X4 quad-core; is there anything I can do to maximize the potential of the processor? I read something about unlocking the forth core. Is there anything besides overclocking that I can do to make my processor perform better? Would unlocking the fourth core be considered overclocking? Does it even need to be "unlocked?"

[...]I have an AMD Phenom X4 quad-core; is there anything I can do to maximize the potential of the processor? I read something about unlocking the forth core. Is there anything besides overclocking that I can do to make my processor perform better? Would unlocking the fourth core be considered overclocking? Does it even need to be "unlocked?"

If it is a quad core, all the cores are unlocked. There aren't any unlocked cores to unlock.

Overclocking is when you adjust the frequency of some of the systems to run higher than specified by the manufacturer. Overclocking a 3GHz quad core CPU, for instance, would be when you configure your motherboard to run it at 3.2GHz, or any frequency higher than 3GHz.

The frequency of most systems on a computer are based off of a system clock. Many chips that use the system clock for reference will run at multiples of the system clock speed. When you increase the multiple that the CPU runs, for example, you are overclocking it.

I overclocked a long time ago, but I don't remember exactly how to do it. I would have to get into the bios and manually and change it from there right? Given my computers specs, what speeds would you recommend? My computer doesn't get too hot, even on hot days, but my case is small, so I'm not sure if I should push it. But I am curious to see what it will do. I want Starcraft II to run just a little smoother at max settings.

I am also considering overclocking my asus cucore 5770, but the thing is so huge. It's the loudest thing in my comp. But my GPUs temps stay around pretty safe ranges according to catalyst control. 46 on idle. I'm guessing 56 on load on a hot day. Could be lower.

DO NOT TRY IT.
You will not be able to place the ram, due to the slot position.
The MB can be damaged to do so.

Back
Top Bottom