If a processor was dead would a laptop still power on (Light up etc)

If the CPU was dead, everything usually starts up and some lights will come on but you wouldn't get any signal to the monitor. Unfortunately many things case that very scenario so I wouldn't start by saying a dead cpu.

What brand of laptop is it?

Some brands that use certain components in their machines have well known failures, usually motherboards or graphics chips. E.g. HP DV6, the first few ranges of Vaio with Bluray drives, and so on.

Its a acer aspire 5720 laptop. im getting no power to the unit at all. checked the power supply and its giving off the full 19v that is needed by the board. power is getting to about 1/4 of the board and no power / charging lights show. it wont turn on at all just dead. wont run from battery/ power and battery or just power. no lights no nothing.

Any ideas ?

I would of thought you would need the CPU to turn it on as it processes the command.

If not I think it's problem with your connection with the battery to the charger

The reason im asking about the CPU is that the computer would turn itself off (possibly due to overheating of the CPU), if i got a new board i would want that to fix the problem. obviously if its the CPU at fault then im going to be wasting my money.

As i said the power 19v is getting to the board as i checked with multimetre. its just not getting to every part of the board. i get no lights at all. Im not sure if the battery is dead so i dont know if it would work just using battery power. however the battery is giving out a voltage of about 16v.

The only other thing is that their is a separate board for the power switch. this may have gone and therefore not powering on the machine however again testing with a multimeter I am getting a voltage on that board. I have also tried to short the connection just in case the power button has broken and still nothing.

i find it strange how it was working one day and then it just caves in and dies totally. If its not the board then what can it be. ?

Perhaps the power is there its just not charging it properly. Does it turn off when you move or if you slightly knock the plug??

No sorry, The laptop is totally dead and the power is not charging the battery as i get no lights at all. the laptop does not power on at all. i have tested for voltages and the motherboard seems to be getting the full 19v from the power adaptor. however i get no voltages in some parts of the board. its only about the first quater of the board that seems to be getting power.

the batttery seems to be charged as i tested for voltages using a multimeter.

Back
Top Bottom