The people we have to deal with...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not nitpicking. I'm just curious. How much of a performance boost do you get with two drive in RAID 0 compared with no RAID?

On a single drive i was getting roughly 90MB/s and on RAID0 Im getting about 200MB/s , you can feel the difference. Is she going to be running ACT! By sage? I've had a bit of experience with ACT and it's quite the resource hogger.

On a single drive i was getting roughly 90MB/s and on RAID0 Im getting about 200MB/s , you can feel the difference.[...]

Is that with two drives or more in RAID 0?

As I understand it, there isn't that much improvement in speed performance with just two hard disk drives. Especially if the drives are fast to begin with. If a RAID 0 array consists of many drives, then I would expect considerably faster performance.

RAID 0: Hype or blessing?

On a single drive i was getting roughly 90MB/s and on RAID0 Im getting about 200MB/s , you can feel the difference. Is she going to be running ACT! By sage? I've had a bit of experience with ACT and it's quite the resource hogger.

Not really that familiar with sage, they're an accountancy firm so i guess they use the Sage Accounting suite and whatever is included in it lol. By all accounts you can run Sage on a calculator :p

He doesn't specify whether he used the same drive in the RAID setup or not. I hear a lot of these anecdotal testimonies-- "I put in RAID0 and everything is blazing fast!" But the real reason everything is faster is because he got two new drives which had larger buffers and faster access times.

It's like spark plugs-- the very act of putting new spark plugs into your car will likely improve your mileage, so how can you say that plug A is superior unless you benchmark with brand new plugs of the kind you already had in?

There's the speeds im getting;
http://www.computerforums.org/hardware/interesting-media-inteface-speed-tests-106264.html

When i first built the PC I Had one WD 500gb Drive, then 2 weeks later bought a completely identical (Same model, firmware, size) drive and put it in RAID0. So i did see quite a large increase in performance but i know of people who have put there drives into RAID0 and have seen no improvement.

Not really that familiar with sage, they're an accountancy firm so i guess they use the Sage Accounting suite and whatever is included in it lol. By all accounts you can run Sage on a calculator :p
ACT! By sage is there CRM package, it was laggy as all hell and required alot of resources to run smoothly, hell on my old rig it lagged even with local DB's and that was Quad core at 3.4Ghz, 2gb RAM, Windows XP Pro.

ACT was shite, worse I don't actually think that SAGE invented it, I think that they bought it and somehow made it worse.

they had an even worse CRM product than that though, I remember having it at a company where I worked, it needed dedicated servers for databases and reporting, and a dedicated webserver (these weren't able to be on the same box). and required someone from Sage to come and give presentations on how to use the software (we were also going to be resellers) -but that software was worse than useless.

Odly enough I was discussing with a friend the other day about our mutual hate for all things sage related (except the and onion sausages). his big gripe was that you apparently can't export data in an easily readable format from Sage Line apps, so once many businesses decide to go with sage, they are then effectively locked into it forever. (or have to re-enter all their data).

I had a similar problem to the one in the first post. a friend of a friend of my dads wanted a computer for office/ spreadsheet/word documents and internet but wanted way more than she needed but whats worse is she threw a hissy fit when I told her how much the computer she wanted was going to cost (after telling her once before that it would cost that much which she agreed to) and bailed after I had ordered all the parts saying she was just going to go somewhere else to get the computer she wanted for the price she wanted. Anyhow a few weeks later she comes back after I returned all the parts and says she would pay more than I had originally asked for the computer I was going to build. AT this point she was practically begging me since she knew she would not find a better deal but I flat out turned her down after that.

That's why I love working for myself that way I have the freedom to choose the customers I want

I had a similar problem to the one in the first post. a friend of a friend of my dads wanted a computer for office/ spreadsheet/word documents and internet but wanted way more than she needed but whats worse is she threw a hissy fit when I told her how much the computer she wanted was going to cost (after telling her once before that it would cost that much which she agreed to) and bailed after I had ordered all the parts saying she was just going to go somewhere else to get the computer she wanted for the price she wanted. Anyhow a few weeks later she comes back after I returned all the parts and says she would pay more than I had originally asked for the computer I was going to build. AT this point she was practically begging me since she knew she would not find a better deal but I flat out turned her down after that.

That's why I love working for myself that way I have the freedom to choose the customers I want

Good job putting principals before profits. People like that need to be taught a lesson. +1

Good job putting principals before profits. People like that need to be taught a lesson. +1

Right on! anyone who doesn't know as much about computers and their cost etc deserves to be left out in the cold and treated with contempt!

:rolleyes:

I can understand not being keen to build the woman a computer after she stiffed you the fist time. but why not just take that as a lesson and get payment upfront the next time?

Yeah, a lot of people are telling me that now so for the work I do now mostly fixing software issues I make them pay a deposit so I don't get totally screwed if I do. Since people I deal with are poor college students that mostly just want their data back after a crash so they can turn in their final projects I have started a few client lists where I have a black list and a grey list and a list of trusted clients. People who are trusted I don't ask for payment until after since I know they are good for it, the grey list is people who owe me money for a job but haven't payed yet. They stay on that list for 1 month and I frequently ask them when they will pay. After that month if they still haven't payed they are on my black list and I will never serve them again. I only have one person on my black list since I fixed her computer software issues and she said she would pay me the following monday but they she moved away never to be seen again. All new clients start on my grey list.

That's basically how I work now. I've had to deal with people's crap at my old job too working for my sister's dog kennel boarding and selling puppies and what not. This old guy got a puppy put on hold and put a deposit on a particular puppy but didn't ever come to pick it up when he said he would so the puppy went back on the market and was later bought by a lady and when she and her kids came to pick it up the old man showed up and threw a fit saying he had that dog on hold and started freaking out. WE told him he could buy one of the other puppies but he insisted on that particular one. And he went carrying on saying he was going to sue us and what not he even went as far as to start yelling at the little 7 year old girl who was holding on to the puppy. We ended up giving his deposit back and telling him to leave or the police would be called so he did saying we'd be hearing from his lawyer but we never heard from him again. I jsut wanted to punch him right in the jaw.

Back
Top Bottom