Which computer kit is better?

I don't even know what sli is!

And the RAM is the only thing that worries me...I honestly don't intend on doing a lot of multitasking or even lots of FX work. I'm not that kind of editor. My goal is to be able to smoothly cut 1080p or even 2k. I can always transcode AVCHD to edit if it's still an issue, I could always buy bigger drives for that. My main worry is that the 8GB limit might present some sort of bottlenecking, but again, I suppose that depends on how heavy my editing gets...the AMD 6 core, like I said, is similar in power to an Intel 4 core...so 16GB might be overkill for me.

But if anyone has any other suggestions for a decent editing computer for around 320 bucks (sans hdd, graphics card or monitor), I'd like to hear it....I'd go with the 3 core, it would suit my needs for now, but I'm wondering how much that MOBO will be able to utilize the power of say, a 6 core upgrade later. And the other question is, of course, if it's cheaper to go for the six core now....or how much the processor price will drop in say, 6 months.....

If anyone has any opinions/ideas, I'd really appreciate it. Again, looking to edit mostly standard def at the moment, but would like a decent base (basically my mobo and processor) to be able to expand to heavier stuff down the line. In this regard, the kits might not even be worth it....don't know. Just looking for a value.

Thanks.

if you have a old tower id start from scratch and piece it together as you go.
start with the basics and work your way up. and do these come with a OS?

Sit on newegg.com and build up ur own. I built a amd dual core 3.0, 4 gigs ram, and a foxxconn mother board. I reused hard drives DVD drives psu and replaced them later and only payed 265. So see what u have for parts and go from there

OK, I talked to someone on another forum and they recommended I go with this barebones setup:

-MSI NF725GM-P43 AM3 NVIDIA GeForce 7025 & nForce 630a Micro ATX AMD

-AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor

-CORSAIR XMS 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory

-COOLER MASTER Elite 370 Black Steel / Plastic Computer Case

-COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-500-PCAR-A3-US 500W ATX12V v2.3 Power Supply

Altogether with shipping and tax it's $390 on newegg. I'm going to see if I can get some of it cheaper in other places, it's way over my budget, but I think it's a worthwhile investment. I have a WD 500GB 7200RPM drive that I got a month ago, so that's good, and external 500GB LaCie as well. I figure I can get additional RAM and DVD drive later on, along with a new monitor and graphics card.

But what do you guys think, especially about that mobo? Since it's smaller, I assume that means less room for expansion. I need a PCI for my firewire card and I guess a PCI-e for a low level graphics card, but will all that fit in there? Do you think it will be a problem?

Thanks.

I'm saying u get what u get when u think with ur wallet.
Do u all ready have a computer. A desktop one or a shell of any sort?
If u do what are the specs of it? Psu wattage, who made the tower, and DVD drive.

Darkseeker, I didn't ignore you, but I moved on from the kits and am doing everything separately.

It's still on a budget, but this is what I'm planning on getting:

-MSI NF725GM-P43 AM3 NVIDIA GeForce 7025 & nForce 630a Micro ATX AMD

-AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor

-CORSAIR XMS 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory

-Cooler Master Cooler Master Elite 430 Mid Tower ATX Case

I still need a decent, reliable power supply in the 40-50 dollar range, if anyone can help.

And again, the mobo is a microATX. Is the RAM limitation (1333 Mhz) or anything else on the mobo going to present a major problem to me? I know you guys probably aren't fond of extreme budget systems but I'm poor. I need this for practical purposes....not gaming.

Back
Top Bottom