Need building advice for components

Inafune

Solid State Member
Basically I want to construct a gaming computer, but I haven't built a computer before. So far, along with my friends help, I have chosen these components to use:

Motherboard-
Asus M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 880G Socket AM3 Onboard 128MB.. | Ebuyer.com
asus M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 880G socket AM3....
£74.56

Case-
Xenta Black Mid Tower Case | Ebuyer.com
Xenta black mid tower case
£19.88

PSU-
Arctic Power 500W PSU With PCI-E 2x SATA, 20+4 ATX12V.. | Ebuyer.com
Artic power 500W
£30.63

CPU-
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Socket AM3 3GHz 2MB L2 Cache.. | Ebuyer.com
AMD athlon II X4 640 socket AM3 3GHz 2MB
£72.99

RAM-
Kingston 4GB DDR3 1066MHz Memory Non-ECC CL7 1.5V | Ebuyer.com
Kingston 4GB DDR3 1066MHz
£34.89

HDD-
Hitachi Deskstar 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB.. | Ebuyer.com
Hitachi Deskstar 500GB Hard Drive SATA11...
£29.99

DVD drive-
LiteOn IHAP122 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM IDE.. | Ebuyer.com
LiteOn IHAP122 22x....
£16.61

Graphics card-
Inno3D 9500GT 1GB DDR2 DVI VGA HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics.. | Ebuyer.com
Inno3D 9500GT
£41.86

I would like advice on what fans/ heat sinks to purchase. Also if the components listed above are compatible.

Thank you, in advance, for any help given.

If you're in the u.s. go with newegg.com, otherwise newegg.ca is the canadian version ... Much better service and better parts selection, more well known too. Most people on computer forums shop there anyhow, might as well make it your one stop shop.

Before we choose components please give us a budget, how much are you spending? Also, if you have a prefernce of a certain brand tell us that, otherwise we'll choose it for you. Looking at the video card you're out-dating yourself by 2+ years, and it's not the best gaming card to begin with. You're looking in the 400-500 series for nvidia and 5xxx-6xxx series for amd (was ati)... These will be ~$100-$200, depends which one you get and from who.

I would also reccommend a 1TB or larger hdd. For some reason after 1TB they get pretty fast. I compared a WD 640black 32MB cache to a wd black 1.5GB 32 mB cach (i think it had 32) and it was night and day. I'd suggest western digital for your hard drive brand, but that's just who I'd go with, never had one quit on me yet.

hdd=hard disk drive

You may want to consider upgrading the CPU to a Phenom II for just a little more: AMD Phenom II X4 840 Socket AM3 3.2GHz

And I recommend going with two DIMMS of RAM so you can use the dual channel capability of the motherboard: EXTRA VALUE 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz

Without a budget it's hard to say if your choices are good or not. For a $5000 computer they wouldn't be good choices, but for a $700, they would probablybe. Lets wait to see what he says on how much he wants to spend, then go from there.

Without a budget it's hard to say if your choices are good or not. For a $5000 computer they wouldn't be good choices, but for a $700, they would probablybe. Lets wait to see what he says on how much he wants to spend, then go from there.

Good point. Of course, my suggestions are in the context of the budget indicated by the list of parts the OP posted.

So that you know, I live in the UK. I have a budget of around £550. Also if things are outdated, or anything, when you list components could you please give links. Also I dont really find a 1TB hard drive necessary. Thanks for the help so far.

Back
Top Bottom