Desktop Won't POST - Am I screwed? I think I am . . .

NEED WOW NOW

Daemon Poster
So . . . . haven't came to these forums in a long time but as the thread title says . . . My desktop won't POST at all.

I've been putting it into Sleep Mode for months instead of actually turning it off if that has anything to do with it. The diagnostics that I have completely already are as follows -

- I've done a barebones startup (Only Video Card - 2 different ones, motherboard, RAM and CPU)
- I've swapped GPU's out
- I've disconnected all peripherals(keyboard, mouse, printer, ethernet, any and all other usb devices)
- I tested RAM sticks (which I knew wheren't the problem since the ones I own have RAM activity LED's which where moving - extremely slowly) - I only have 2 2GB sticks of DDR3 and I tested each separately which did not work.
- I've disconnected all excess power consuming units (HHD's, Fans, DVD Drive, Lights all disconnected)

I don't have a PSU Tester but I believe my neighbor has one which i'm going to ask to borrow later on today. I've limited the problems to either the Motherboard or the Power Supply. Am I correct in my assumptions and are there any other diagnostics that I can attempt that may fix my POST problem . . . (BTW - POST problem = No initial Beep code at computer start up and no display on the monitor.)

I would expect the power supply to be the culprit, but you should know soon enough when you test it with your neighbor's power supply tester.

Figured it out.
I was talking to my neighbor who works with computers and he told me a few things I could try -
One is that he never believed in power supply testers
Two to try booting without RAM because even without the RAM it should give a POST beep.
Three was to reset my Bios because it could have been my overclock
Four was if none of the above worked, it would either be the main board or the CPU

Well . . . . I'm happy my computers working but I'm also very sad that my 400Mhz overclock (Without even touching Stock Voltages and temperatures never going above 53C on stress tests) is now gone. I may overclock it later on, but for now it's working so I'll have to deal without the 3.6Ghz AMD Phenom II X4 955 . . . So sad and so happy . . . it's such a conflict of emotions . . . ugh T_T

Power supply testers are a quick easy way to confirm the power supply is working. His method is good, except that if it didn't post with no RAM installed and after resetting the BIOS, how would you know if it is the power supply or the motherboard?

that was probably your problem was the overclock... 3.6ghz quad is mooore than enough to do what every you are doing. ha

Back
Top Bottom