Updating graphics card

Cadriel

Baseband Member
I am planning to upgrade my graphics card!

I want my computer to run more smoothly when I'm playing games. I want to play games like (Civ 5, Sims 3, that sort of thing), at about medium? graphics. And I'd like to do all this for about $100.

As far as I know, I am going to need a low profile card because the width of my case is 111m.

I have a 220W power supply which I am probably going to have to upgrade. (and its ATX)

What suggestions do you guys have? (note i dont like buying off ebay/craigslist).

I was searching TigerDirect but there was so many options, and then possible 'compatibility issues'. so I wanted to check in with the good ol' computer forums before I made a decision.

I am not sure on how much power supplies cost. I've never really bought a different power supply... But I don't want to have to spend too much on all of this.

I currently have a GeForce 9200.

Thank you, Cadriel

What is the spec of the rest of your PC? If your PC is a dinosaur, adding a new GPU probably won't help. Judging by your 220W PSU, it's not all that high spec as it goes. Then again, those aren't exactly high spec games. You can pick up a decent low-mid end card for $100 definitely, it just comes down to whether it's worth it.

As for low profile cards:

Newegg.com - Palit NEAT430NFHD06 GeForce GT 430 (Fermi) 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card
Newegg.com - XFX HD-645X-ZNH2 Radeon HD 6450 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

Power Units:

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-460-PMSR-A3 460W ATX12V V2.3 Power Supply

or even

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Elite Power RS-400-PSAR-J3 400W ATX12V v2.31 Power Supply

but i never like to recommend $30 PSUs, branded or otherwise.

My computer is somewhat of a baby, I have the Acer Aspire X1300. I posted a thread a long time ago and they suggested I update my graphics card. But since then I've had a bit more reasoning. I'm not sure what specs exactly are but... heres the thing I get when i dxdiag

Code:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 6/27/2011, 17:24:36
       Machine name: HOME-PC
   Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110408-1631)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Acer
       System Model: Aspire X1300
               BIOS: )Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
          Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 7450 Dual-Core Processor  (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
             Memory: 3072MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 2814MB RAM
          Page File: 2197MB used, 3431MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Hopefully that is what you needed.

If those are my best two options, i reviewed the specs and the Geforce GT 430 looks like a better option for what I want to do. Pretty much I want to play all these cool little computer games I have (nothing like crysis, black ops, that sort of thing) and I dont wanna have to waste 200 dollars on a full-blown video card.

Also, which of those two power supplies (not liking the 30 dollar one since you dont like to recommend it lol) would you say is best? Is 30w a big difference? thanks for your help.

I would say corsair. Coolermaster is good, but i can say for a fact the corsair power supplies are very good quality. And no, 30 watts won't make "that" big of a difference.

Alright, thank you! I was told my system was very efficient to run nicely on a 220W PSU.

So I'll order the GT 430 soon as well as the Corsair power supply (it has free shipping and a rebate).

One question - are graphics cards and psus difficult to put in your computer? It sounds like something I'd have to spend hours on... or have an expert help me lol

Alright, thank you. I also have a computer-savvy family member who could also help me if things go south.

Alright, thank you! I was told my system was very efficient to run nicely on a 220W PSU.

So I'll order the GT 430 soon as well as the Corsair power supply (it has free shipping and a rebate).

One question - are graphics cards and psus difficult to put in your computer? It sounds like something I'd have to spend hours on... or have an expert help me lol

If it don't go in the hole, don't make it.... As long as you follow this saying you should be fine. There's a reason the "6 pin power connector" does not go in the "8 pin power connector" for example.

Back
Top Bottom