What video card?

eeb72

Beta member
I'm in the process of building a PC and can't decide on what video cards to get. I would be using 3 monitors so would be getting 2 video cards. I do want something that has dual DVI outputs. My main use with the PC is photo editing and later on I will be also doing HD video editing. I might play some games but photo/video editing is what will be done the most. I was going to go with 2 HD 5770 cards but after some reviews their is faster and better cards in that price range. I'm now looking at the GTX 460 1gb & GTX 460 2gb cards. How much better is the 2gb model. I can pretty much get two of the 1gb versions for the price of one 2gb model.

Tigerdirect.com has rebate offers until June 30 so I want to order something before then.

The only reason you'd want to look at large memory models is if you intend to run very high resolutions. Most standard monitor resolutions will be fine with 1GB cards. The only time you'll really stress 2GB is when you're running games or apps with everything turned up on the details to their highest settings and at very high resolutions. The 460 is a fine card. If you'll be using the same monitors for a while, there's no reason to skimp out on a set of 1GB cards. I sincerely doubt you'll stress those cards for at least a few years with the kind of work you're doing. If you intend to run the monitors as one large desktop (instead of three individual desktops) then yes, spring for the 2GB cards.

Thanks for the reply.

My monitors are the 22" Dell 2209wa with a resolution of 1680x1050. I plan on using these monitors until something goes wrong with them. Would also be using them as seperate monitors. Any other 1gb cards worth looking at besides the 460?

When using the two cards, would I want to run them in SLI/Crossfire or individual? Would have 2 monitors on the one card and one on the second.

I know from experience that you can't use CrossFire on more than two monitors. If you wanted to use that mode, you'd be restricted to two active monitors. SLI I'm not as familiar with, the last time I ran SLI was back in the 8800 GTS day.

I currently run my dual 5870's in CrossFire with dual monitor for gaming and most general use, and then I turn off CF when I want to activate a third monitor for a short time. It works pretty well. The 1GB cards should be fine for that resolution too, by the way.

Back
Top Bottom