SSD and HDD

I wouldn't go so far as to say that you need to be a Professional with an absolute need for performance. Many of us here love extreme performance even though we don't really need it. It does help improve game performance, something that the average computer user here can appreciate. As for the cost, I have to agree with 7D8, the cost is high enough to be considered close to the point of diminishing returns. In other words, unless your computer is very up to date and high performance, you would probably get better value for the money spending it on other components to improve your systems performance. Also, as 7D8 implies, the reliability of a solid state drive isn't as good as a hard disk drive. That is why I store my data on a hard disk drive instead of the solid state drive I use for the OS and programs.

In MY opinion: NO. Unless you qualify for any of these four conditions:
  1. Professional with absolute need for performance
  2. Has with money to burn
  3. The price drops
  4. The reliability increases

Completely and totally disagree. That's not saying your post is wrong, just that I disagree.

I was in the same camp until I experienced it for myself first hand. My first setup was with an Intel 40GB SSD on my Work PC, which ran an i7 920 and a 750GB Hard drive for storage duties. Windows startup and general application performance are markedly improved when you use an SSD for the boot drive, and even the 40 & 80GB drives are getting into the realm of affordability. FFS, am I the only one that remembers when 80GB hard drives were $400? o_O

Here's where I sit on the issue:

Buy an SSD that fits your need. I would recommend a minimum of a 40GB SSD to install Windows 7 on, but buy higher if you can.
Set up a second platter based hard drive for data storage and general program use (large program installs should go on the HDD as well)

You won't see a performance hit by having some programs on the hard drive, at least not as much as folks think it impacts.

7D8 said:
You may get a slight boost in Window operations, but every time you go to run a program or game, the SSD will have to wait for the HDD.

This happens anyway on platter only hard drive systems. An SSD isn't some magical object that transforms Windows into an instant-gratification-mobile. There are still lag times and delays in opening programs that haven't been accessed in a while, but if you install a program to the SSD that doesn't hit a lot of the sequential power that an SSD offers, you'll never notice the difference.

If you're a pro that does a lot of video work, then yes, SSDs hands down. If you're an end user who is curious and has the money, sure, why not. If you're just toying with the idea and you can't justify spending that kind of money on an SSD, then sit tight for prices and performance to improve. You won't be sorry.

For the record, installing the Corsair Force 120GB into my Dell M1530 laptop (T9300 CPU, 4GB RAM) sped it up considerably. It has given the system new life, and my boss recently let me upgrade the 40GB Intel to the same Corsair in my work PC and things have just been even more amazing with the added space.

Also, another thing to remember with SSDs is that you never have to defragment them. Speeds remain constant, and even on the old windows load that this laptop has (install date: 8/10/10) things are just as fast as they were when I first installed the OS, even after all the hell I've put it through.

Reliability is another naysayer "issue" - that 40GB Intel is still going strong and it's over a year old. I've had platter based drives since then die many times in the same time span (replaced by OEM refurbs and those died too - not a lot, just a couple). Money is still really the only deciding factor.

<steps off of soap box>

[...]Reliability is another naysayer "issue" - that 40GB Intel is still going strong and it's over a year old. I've had platter based drives since then die many times in the same time span (replaced by OEM refurbs and those died too - not a lot, just a couple). Money is still really the only deciding factor. [...]

As I have said in an earlier post. My reason for keeping my data on a hard disk drive is that it is much more reliable than a solid state drive (I'm speaking from empirical experience). I've had the solid state drive glitch a couple times over the last year requiring OS re-installation. I've only lost data on a hard disk drive once over the last couple decades. My oldest system still in use is 7 years old and still running trouble free on a hard disk drive. Of course, your mileage may vary, but my opinion is based on my empirical experience with the SSD that I have. It is quite possible that the newer solid state drives are much more reliable than the one I use purchased a couple years ago.

For the OS and programs, SSD is a good call. It's also a good idea to have two hard drives for backup purposes. Given that SSD is so much more expensive, just get a 100 Gig or so SSD and 1TB mechanical HD. Use the mechanical one for music and videos. Make regular Images of the SSD onto the mechanical drive if case of catastrophic failure of the SSD. Then, use carbonite or another "cloud" storage medium to make full back-ups of the mechanical drive constantly. That way, EVERYTHING that needs to be fast is fast, and everything gets backed up.

The best way is to use an SSD for your OS and a RAID0 array for data.

Woah, I agree with Chipeater on this one - don't EVER use RAID 0 for data you can't afford to lose (or care deeply about.) RAID 0 is not a good setup to use for data storage, just fast access for things like rendering work or video work.

As for your earlier comment Chip, I have yet to run into any issues both in a personal and enterprise environment with SSDs. I'm sure they'll happen sooner or later, but so far, our record with SSDs is perfect. Likewise for personal use. I also haven't heard of any significant issues from the makers on their SSDs. If you buy a crappy SSD, sure, you get what you pay for. There are some controllers I avoid at all costs, but SandForce and Intel are ones I can vouch for.

As for your earlier comment Chip, I have yet to run into any issues both in a personal and enterprise environment with SSDs. I'm sure they'll happen sooner or later, but so far, our record with SSDs is perfect. Likewise for personal use. I also haven't heard of any significant issues from the makers on their SSDs. If you buy a crappy SSD, sure, you get what you pay for. There are some controllers I avoid at all costs, but SandForce and Intel are ones I can vouch for.

That's good to hear. I've got an G.Skill 128Gb SSD, that does perform well, but I've become a little wary of it. I would think that the newer SSDs would be more reliable and I'm glad to here your experience has been good.

Anybody who uses Raid-0 had better do regular disk images, to a networked server, or perhaps cloud storage like Carbonite. Your best bet for performance and data redundancy is Raid-5 in my opinion. That is IF, you can afford it.

my pc i have now has 2 hdd and the os is on a 70gb, my games are on 150gb. when it auto backs up it automaticly goes to the 70gb. same with game instalations some games i cant change to the 150gb. so this makes it hard if i have a 6ogb ssd and a 1tb also.

Back
Top Bottom