Gaming/Audio Recording Headphones?

Oimanoi

Solid State Member
Hey there, I have currently decided to buy a new headset, for gaming and lets plays etc. My price range is around $50-$120, cutting down my budget due to work reasons etc.

I have my eyes on one at the moment for the price of $69, but am unsure with the durability. The 'Plantronics GameCom 777 Headset'. Apparently it is great for a lot of things. But, I have heard a lot of complaints on its durability. After around a few months to a year, it breaks through some thin cheap plastic they have made certain areas with.

All of this, slightly frightened me and pushed me to look further into other brands etc. Another headset that caught my eye for $59 is the 'Turtle Beach ear Force Z2 Headphones'. It is said they are good, but the audio apparently isn't as good, and slightly staticy you might say. To be honest, I wouldn't know which of these are better though. They both are said to break quickly after bought but still are both great deals apparently.

I understand how yes, they are cheap, and obviously the cheaper it is, it is probably out of date and not as good as others.

Other things that I am ok with, is a headset and mic combo. With a clip on mic of some sort. I have heard some of them can be horrible with background noise etc. And that would be terrible, as I need crystal clear voice as I record myself doing walkthoughs in games and such. Any brands of specific models would be great.

So yeah, what I really want to know is, are there any other better brands or better all round headsets/headset+clip-on-mic combo out there around that price range? This is my first time here and the first thread I've made on this forum, so if this is incorrect or something is wrong, or there is already a thread or area specifically made for this, please let me know.

By the way guys, I am currently in Brisbane, Australia. So if you know of any good shops for gaming/recording headphones, I would be grateful if you were to tell me know where one is or the names of some.

Cheers.

From my personal experience, you'd be best going with a Turtle Beach headset if you plan to use it for gaming/microphone (chatting with friends).

A headset is the sort of thing that if you are going to buy one, try to buy the best you can.
I suggest Turtle Beach X31 headset..

I have owned a pair of X11's and I'm thoroughly pleased with them. X31 is technically a 'better' version of the X11's. Hopefully this helped you!

I cannot say anything about the Triton headsets because I've never tried them.

I game with my Beyerdynamic DT 880 + Zalman clip-on mic. Nobody has problems understanding me, but you may want to look into a better mic for your purpose.

If you want good audio quality, a good rule of thumb is to avoid anything with a "gaming" label on them. You want headphones made by audio engineers, not gaming companies. A few headphones worth looking into around your budget:

AKG K240 Studio
Audio Technica A700/AD700
Audio Technica M50
Sennheiser HD555
Sony MDR-V6

Thanks for the reply's guys, I've been having a look at all the headsets you have recommended for me and I think the Audio Technica M50 sounds like the best way to go. Other than the Turtle Beach X31 which I didn't really look into that much. Let me know what you think is the best out of these and out of the list you previously gave me.

I have heard having a clip on mic isn't that great due to background noise, static and being forced to bend downwards or lift the mic up to your mouth to get a good sound. I am not fussy with the headset, I just really want a good mic. As that will be what my gaming will be revolving around. As said in my first post, walkthroughs, lets plays and such. So, any recommendations? Do you not agree with the clip on mic being hard to use or inconvenient at all? If this is true, is there any other thing I might be able to invest in which is like a clip on? Or just a better clip on? I've seen some things which are just placed on the desk in front of you. That might work but am not really sure. Thanks guys.

One other thing. Do you guys know of any places in Australia I might be able to buy the Audio Technica M50? Cheers.

My clip-on mic has been great to me. I just put my headphones on and talk away without having to adjust anything. The reason you may want a better mic is your viewers will appreciate it more. I just don't know of any stereo clip-on mics.

For what it's worth, the Logitech G35 has a fantastic stereo mic. I didn't care for the sound though, so I lent it out to my friend and picked up better cans.

If you want me to, I can make an audio sample and put it up on YouTube or something so you can decide for yourself.

An audio sample of the Zalman? That would be great man. I myself could find any tests of audio with the clip on mic. Only one guy who talked quietly in a really quiet room. So yeah, if it can be done, thanks mate. I'll also look into the Logitech one later.

It'll probably be within the next few days, I tend to always be out and about :D

haha awesome :D. Just let me know when you do. Definitely always using this forum now. Thanks for this man. +rep of course.

Back
Top Bottom