Is a $100 too much to pay for virus removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmoe

Beta member
I just recently got this crazy ass virus on my computer, I mean I couldn't even keep my computer on for more than 5 minutes, anyways, i found this guy that fixed it for a $100 dollars. It works great now but did i pay too much?

It really depends.

If the virus was a pretty nasty one and couldn't be removed with all the freeware apps out there, I would say you were priced about right (considering what you could have lost if the virus is now really gone) I would probably charge someone off the street about the same to clean an infected PC so I wouldn't feel as if you were scammed by any means. There are, however, some good articles out there(including one on this site!) on how to clean infected PC's. Again though, this all goes back to return on investment (ROI). If you didn't have the time, you had personal data on the PC, and it wasn't your normal malware, good investment. If it was just the run of the mill malware and there was nothing really important on the PC, then you wasted a $100 where you could have also gained some experience. Comes down to a couple factors really.

I agree, I love a chance to get some experience. But this bug I got gave me very little room. I went straight for some of the free options like windows live and spybot S&D but anything I tried to run made the computer shut down. I would have done a format but none of the disks came with the computer. They were preinstalled, which i admit now was a horrible mistake on my part. My main question about my decision is the credibility of some of the sites I found after the fact advertising $29.99 or even 60 bucks. Now, the guy that i went to upgraded my OS from Vista to Windows 7 and gave me free anti-virus for a year, let alone the fact that my computer turns on now, lol.

yep its a good price for removing a virus that you couldnt remove by a antivirus scan, But it also all depends on how much your computer is worth. All i think the best antivirus you should put is AVG.

100$ ~ £60 GBP

a really nasty virus could take a day to put right, by the time you've scanned with a few different tools multiple times to make sure all traces are removed.

so the guy is charging less that £10 per hour (~15$ per hour), I don't think that it's cheap, (considering that with time you could have removed the virus yourself. but it's not extortionate.

if the guy has upgraded your OS and given you AV for a year, I'd wonder whether the programs that he's installed are legitimate.

How much is $100 these days, £60?

We charge £40/hour labor charges for individuals, and £45 for companies/onsite (data is usually worth more, hense increased price)

If it takes 1.5 hrs to remove, that's £60 in labor.

You should just simply re-install your computer if you don't have anything important in it.

I just recently got this crazy ass virus on my computer, I mean I couldn't even keep my computer on for more than 5 minutes, anyways, i found this guy that fixed it for a $100 dollars. It works great now but did i pay too much?

if he guaranteed his works then it's alright to pay that amount but if after a month of two and the same virus resurfaced then $100 is not worth it but in my opinion is quite expensive to remove that ass virus...

Geek squad charges $300 for in-home virus removal. That's right, $300. Me? I charge 49 to come out and 59 per hour. Therefore, for 1.5 Hours (which it often times takes for a thorough job) it's 137.50. Currently I have a special for $99. I AM Not just saying this to get clients off this forum, as I only serve a 30 mile radius around 18041. If the same virus comes back within 2 days I fix it at no additional cost, after that they are on their own. Why? Because if it comes back after 2 days then they clearly reinfected themselves as opposed to incompetence on my part. There is only so much I can do to make them not click on anything and everything they shouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom