How to connect to computer (Vista) to print (From a Win7 computer)

kennny

Beta member
I just got a new laptop with Windows 7. I am looking to (connect to) print through a Vista computer which has the printer connected to it (via USB)

I have tried searching for the printer from the laptop and cant find it.

Any suggestions or guides that anyone knows of would be great.

As Chipeater has said, make sure you got everything sharing aswell as in advanced sharing , I dont see why you should even be having a issue, i simply searched for a printer on the network and it picked it up, Just make sure the printer is on ;)

I have tried the aforementioned suggestions and that's why I was wondering if there was a step I might be missing.

If it is not finding the printer is it probably b/c the home network is not set up properly?

BTW, both computers are on wireless internet.

Kennny, I take it that you have checked the share permissions on the Vista machine with the printer connected to it, and that it is in fact shared to the network. But you still couldn't find it with your Windows 7 machine.

Yes that is exactly right Chipeater

EDIT: I have tried it with password protected on and not

They were both set to the same workgroup. I tried creating a new workgroup (called something else) and that still did not work.

I also tried going to ---> Add Printer ---> browse for printer ----> It then shows the computer where the printer is connected to but It will not let me go any further.

Diagnostics brings up : Make sure that the device or resource allows incoming connections for File and Printer Sharing.

Could it be that this printer is not compatible with Win7

Did you install the drivers from the CD that was most likely provided with your printer? This may also be causing the problem.

I have tried installing the drivers also and still no luck.

How would I be able to find the TCP/IP address or hostname and add that way?

Back
Top Bottom