Ram problems.

arsenalbates

Daemon Poster
I have a p5n32-sli deluxe motherboard that is not letting it have more than 3gb of ram in it. As soon as more than 3gb is in the computer cuts out BSOD and a load of other problems. I have 2 sticks of 2gb ram to make 4th but it just won't take it.

I did a bios update and this didn't work. Looked at the spec and seen that the board can take up to 16gb max. I ordered from crucial and they recommended the ram I should get. They both work singly but not together. Although I did have a few problems with the one stick when installing xp.

I have though of everything I can but I still cannot find a fix to this problem. It's a pretty decent mobo but just very ram fussy. Any ideas ?

So, you are saying that if you install 1 2Gb DIMM in the slot closest to the CPU it works. But if you install two DIMMs of the same type, 2Gb each, in the two slots closest to the CPU your computer won't work properly?

Yes. I'm using dual Chanel as I have 4 slots. I'm putting them in the two of the same colour. They work with the old ram origionally in the system in the other 2slots. But the computer runs very slow. As soon as the old two are removed it starts to BSOD and not boot.

If you are installing two DIMMS, put them in the two slots closest to the CPU, the first one being blue, the next one white. If you are using your new and your old RAM, put the new RAM in the first two slots next to the CPU, one blue, one white, then put the two old DIMMS in the two slots farthest from the CPU, one in the blue slot, one in the white slot.

Put both DIMMs and run Memtest. Easy way to get a copy of memtest is to just download Ubuntu live cd and fire it from there.

Back
Top Bottom