trojan.zefarch?

apicsrarky

Beta member
to put it simply: i could just be paranoid & overthinking, however some reassurance would be nice.

for a while now my norton has been blocking & occasionally putting into quarantine trojan.zefarch. the only bad thing i noticed was my internet connection going dead. i never had site redirects, random popups or other weird browser issues. my computer speed never changed & other than that my itunes was just being dumb & making it hard to put music on my iphone. my screen never changed background or theme or anything like that. its just the little popup of autoprotect saying trojan.zefarch had been blocked & my computer is now secure.

right now my computer is in the hands of geek squad. they are scanning my computer, tuning it up & fixing my cd drive (separate issue, not related to the trojan). i had backed up my personal files (music, videos, pictures & documents) prior to taking it in & am having that scanned as well when i pickup my computer. i have a lot of music, i write & have many meaningful pictures. a scan of both drives said they were secure. the wait for my computer is killing me & wondering about my files being safe is driving me crazy. i would really hate to lose anything.

is it possible that because i only lost internet connection & had no weird site redirects to contract another trojan that i acted in time & my personal files will not be lost? any reassurance would be great. thank you.

First off: I would never take my PC to geek squad. They have the worse service ever and knowledge base. My roommate had a rootkit on her laptop that was trying to take down my network, and so she flipped out and took it to Geek Squad. They told her that was perfectly normal for her computer to do that. Even after I showed them my firewall logs from my file server. They charged her $75 for nothing. So one quick bit of info, we can help you here at computer forums with anything.

2nd Thing: Norton is, I think, one of the worst virus programs in the world along with McAfee. I think a lot of us here like AVG, Comodo Internet Security, or Avira. All free and great alternatives. If you don't trust the free stuff, Kaspersky is pretty good too. Also, not every virus program will catch every virus. So like me, I run Comodo Internet Security and Malwarebytes. Some people think that is overboard, but I am very secure and haven't been infected in years.

3rd thing: If you backed up your files to a USB drive, I would hop into a linux distro like ubuntu and search through your files and make sure the virus didn't jump on there. This could happen with any virus out there. To tell if it is a virus, just look for any out of the ordinary files. If you find one delete. You must do this in a linux distro just because the virus is probably design to run in Windows so you can't see it. If you are unforsure if it is good or bad. Just ask us here.

4th thing: Run Malwarebytes. It is free and dependable. If it doesn't find anything and your still having the issue, I think you would probably be better off with a reformat. Reformat guarantees the virus is gone.

Sorry I seem like I was preaching, but I want the best for people out there. And like I said multiple times, if you have a question about something, just ask us here.

As Thompatry said, theres a few things you can run, Do a virusscan with your antivirus, i would suggest COMODO, Run Malewarebytes, also run CCLeaner , it wont do much but its still a decent thing to run, Try also running Spybot Search and Destroy , thats a good lightweight program that will search for any spyware on your computer. A good thing to also try and do is open internet explorer and run picwizard.

+1 to thompatry agree 100% another thing you can do is run hijackthis and submit the log file here http://www.2-spyware.com/hjt.php it will tell you if there is anything running on your pc that should not be there also you can submit the log here and ill take a look at it also. but pls never go to geeksquad I used to work for them. they are the worst.

Yea I forgot the Ccleaner part. Ccleaner is like 2nd hand nature for me. But ccleaner is like a best file cleaner out there. It also has so many tools packed into one. And the best part is that it is FREE.

Back
Top Bottom