Win 7 + old HP = no sound

Rmp5s

In Runtime
Hello everyone. I have an old HP that needed an overhaul in a bad way. It had the same install of XP on it since we got it...like...5 years ago. Very cluttered...lots of unused junk...malware running rampant...etc. I put Win 7 Ultimate on it and now the sound doesn't work. The sound card drivers say they intall fine, say they're up to date and show up in the device manager accordingly but, in the bottom right corner on the speaker icon there is a red circle with a white x in it. When I click it, it starts troubleshooting (which never works with windows...ever...lol) and, when I right click it to select the desired playback device, it says "no audio devices are installed."

Anyone have any ideas? I've tried uninstalling the hardware and reinstalling it 15 different ways using I don't know how many different drivers. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated as, short of using some external means, I have no clue what to do at this point. Thanks!

did you try to run windows update? Some times this will install the sound drivers

Yes, I have tried both of those ideas already. I just tried that driver again and I get the same thing I got every time: "Your system does not meet the requirements. Error 9998." Something to that effect.

I've tried windows update, the xp driver, the vista driver and the win 7 driver and none of them work. PnP works if you go by what the device manager says. Says it installs and works fine in there but, in the tray it says "no audio output device is installed" when you mouse over the speaker and when you go to select the output device.

Maby it would just been a good idea to downgrade to winods XP or 2000 as your HP simply cannot take the strain with everything running at once,

According to HP's website, there are no sound drivers for windows 7, and it appears that windows vista would only support 32-bit. If you are using 64-bit windows, you might be out of luck unless you can find some on here: Realtek

1 thing i have tried and it works sometimes and sometimes not is extracting the driver to a folder and going to device manager and installing the driver manually. I have had the xp or vista driver work on old systems sometimes. make sure it is the correct driver though as it could give you blue screens if it is not. if your not really tech savy make sure to create a backup 1st so you can use go back if needed.

Back
Top Bottom