SSD and HDD

andy1027

In Runtime
Is it possible to have your OS and your Software programs on your SSD whilst your files and everything else are stored in the HDD?

Is that how you would set up a HDD and SSD set-up?

Thanks in advance to all :)

its possible, but what would be the point of having your applications running on a non SSD when they are the ones that you want to use. I've actually thought about this same thing, but it didn't make sense. I use my software to access my data, and if the data is on a non SSD, than its sort of pointless. You may get a slight boost in Window operations, but every time you go to run a program or game, the SSD will have to wait for the HDD.

best way i can desribe it only imagine that the tractor is a miata or something

dieselPerformancePower02.jpg

That does make sense. But I have heard about people running their OS from SSD, so this now confuses me hmmm. Good example by the way! :-D

I've notice a good performance boost running my OS and programs from a solid state drive, while my data resides on a hard disk drive. My reason for keeping my data on a hard disk drive is that it is much more reliable than a solid state drive (I'm speaking from empirical experience). I've had the solid state drive glitch a couple times over the last year requiring OS re-installation. I was surprised that there didn't seem to be much difference between having everything on the solid state drive and having your OS and programs on the solid state drive with your data on a hard disk drive.

i'd be curious to find out the difference in the performance boost vs keeping data on the SSD vs the HDD.

i'd be curious to find out the difference in the performance boost vs keeping data on the SSD vs the HDD.

I've done it both ways and I don't see a perceptible difference. I imagine there would be more of a difference if you were working with very large files, but with the everyday stuff I do I really don't see a difference. I did notice a big difference between everything on a HDD and having the OS and programs on the SSD with data on the HDD.

Yea but what about general computer start-up?? Would having your PC boot the OS from the SSD not speed the bootup process significantly?

So would it be worth buying an SSD and setting up?

In MY opinion: NO. Unless you qualify for any of these four conditions:
  1. Professional with absolute need for performance
  2. Has with money to burn
  3. The price drops
  4. The reliability increases

Back
Top Bottom