Router too advanced for my laptops driver?

Kearsed

Solid State Member
Hello,

I currently have a Toshiba Satellite L305-S5875 and also have a Linksys Wireless G router (both purchased a couple years ago). I just bought Linksys E1200 Wireless N Router. I had trouble setting it up and contacted linksys support. They told me that the new router was too advanced for the driver in my laptop.

I never heard this before, but I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to computers. I'm just looking to get a better/faster router, but am now afraid to try a bunch of routers and keep having this issue. Does anyone know a way to find routers that are compatible to my laptop?

Thanks in advance

Eh, they fed you a line of bull.

How are you configuring the router? Make sure it's not set to N-only wireless and if available, the radio is set to 2.4Ghz, and not 5Ghz.

I'm pretty sure when I go to set up, I just put the cd in and just click install. How would I change what you said for me to do?

Also, why would they give me that bs? I'm not doubting you, but what would they gain from doing that? I also had trouble with my old router and asked for help. They said it was too out of date for them to help me, but they gave me a linksys hotline that would charge me for it.....kinda pissed me off.

Thanks

That sounds like something I would say to get someone off the phone. I lol'd

Your Toshiba Satellite L305-S5875 notebook computer is only capable of 802.11b or 802.11g, it can't use 802.11n. But the Linksys E1200 Wireless N router can provide 802.11b, g, and n wireless networking. So, as celegorm said, it just a matter of correctly configuring your new router. (And linksys tech support tried to feed you a line of bull.)

For your notebook computer 802.11n is the way to go. If you need help, you can always ask here.

Thank you,

Which router would you recommend for me to buy and is it worth me getting an 802.11n router? Is it much better than the g? Sorry to sound like a newb, not good with routers :confused:

It sounds like you already have two routers, looking at your initial post. Either of them should work fine if configured correctly. You don't need to buy another.

I just bought the one router and can take it back if I wanted to (linksys n router). I bought it because I have heaed that N routers are better than the g routers. If you were me, what would you do? I am currently using my old linksys g router. I want a better connection if possible.

Wireless N is faster, but it won't work with your Toshiba notebook computer. If you can, return the new router and get your money back. Your old Linksys router should do the trick.

Are you having trouble connecting to your old Linksys router with your Toshiba notebook? Is your internet connection too slow?

My connection is fine. I just have talked to certain people and they said that having the wireless N is better and that the G sucked.

Back
Top Bottom