water vs air (common question)

if i bought a 360mm rad or a 180mm rad would this be better than a noctua d-14?

I would depend upon the rest of the water cooling system. If properly configured, it should be able to provide lower CPU temperatures. In fact, if you get wild and crazy and install a pelter cooler between the water block and the CPU you can get some extremely low temperatures.

Heres my thing, water + electronics does not go well at all.
If for some reason you get a crack or anything along those lines when ur installing it
or even 5 months from now.......
Say goodbye to your pc.

The Noctua NH-D14 is like one of the best "air" cooling methods right now.
The 212+ is really good, but the Noctua NH-D14 is like 2 of those combined.

i would like to know what a pelter is and i will not use water i will use mineral oil(electronic safe).

Heres my thing, water + electronics does not go well at all.
If for some reason you get a crack or anything along those lines when ur installing it
or even 5 months from now.......
Say goodbye to your pc.

The Noctua NH-D14 is like one of the best "air" cooling methods right now.
The 212+ is really good, but the Noctua NH-D14 is like 2 of those combined.

Most coolers these days don't use Water. My friend's rig uses an astatic compound, even if his reservoir burst mid-flight, the computer would be almost undamaged (besides obviously having no cooling now...)

Technically speaking, most computers are cooled with the use of phase change in combination with other methods. Most, or at least more and more, modern CPU heat sinks use heat pipes which use a liquid phase change to transfer heat to a air cooled radiator. So, technically speaking, there aren't nearly as many "air cooled" CPUs out there anymore.

I have to agree that a fully liquid cooled system is a little more work than it's worth, at least for me. If you are pushing the over-clocking envelope then you will probably need a more efficient cooling system such as liquid cooling or phase change. (Phase change as in gutting a freezer and using the parts to cool your CPU.) I've built several quad core systems with, in addition to the CPU and GPU fans, one or two 120mm case fans running at moderate speed with good cooling and quite trouble free service.

Back
Top Bottom