Noisy as hell / overheating

fred8616

Beta member
Okay guys, I have a HP Pavilion dv7-3126eo, which is noisy as hell. I downloaded speedfan, so I could see if there were any overheating, it turned out that both my Core and temp1 were around 69 degree. Can any of you help me to get the noise away?

I use my computer for gaming (Starcraft II)

Info:
Processer: Dual-core M540 (2-Cpu's) 2.4GHz
Memmory: 4096MB RAM
DirectX 11
Main driver: ATI

i recommed you u need thermal paste for your cpu and fan assembly

and stop application running in background at startup by going your startbar then typre in the searchbar at the bottom of your startbar system config

are you mad? Noisy fans aren't caused by thermal paste... Thermal paste has nothing to do with noise. The faster the fans spin, the noisier they are. If your CPU is running at 69C, thermal paste COULD be an issue, but since it's a HP and therefore an OEM unit (build in a factory) i would say this probably isn't the case. Unfortunately, since it's a laptop, there isn't a huge amount you can do, and HPs have a nasty habit of running a bit too hot, especially on their graphics chips. The best thing i can suggest, is get yourself a can of compressed air and blow all the fans and grills/grillguards clean. I don't recommend you open it up and play with the cooling inside the case, as you are more likely to do harm than good. You could also look at external notebook coolers.

Yeah you need thermal paste, and if it's on wrong or there is too much/too little then the fan has to work harder - my point was, it's a laptop, therefore everything inside is flush to the case and the pads and paste will be applied by a machine in the factory. HPs main problem is non-cpu chip cooling, which contributes to the ambient heat inside the case. Your main focus should be cooling the chassis, since a hot chassis heats the chips up further.

Laptop cooling dock is a great idea.

Now when you say loud, we talking like a thrown bearing in the fan? Grinding noise? Or just the fan being stressed constantly while powered on?

Fred, your temps are the high side of normal believe it or not. The only major thing you can do to help quiet the system down is to buy the mat, but also dust the system out. You can use compressed air to blow "puffs" of air into the fan inlet on a laptop, just be careful that you don't spin the fan speed up too much while you're dusting it out, or you can throw bearings out.

Okay, I'm going to clean it up with compressed air. But do you guys think it would help to buy a cpu cooler or a new fan?

The only fans that will fit in your laptop will be identical to what's already in there. Laptops aren't like desktops, there aren't really any standards - every design is basically unique. You can find identical replacement fans, but there won't be any third party equipment/aftermarket gear you could put in.

Back
Top Bottom