I run a server, for minecraft, and was wondering if...

Gamerfanatic

Beta member
I run a server, for minecraft, and was wondering if I can put my computer into a "powered down"/sleep type of mode, or configure sleep to do this, but I would like to be able to run a server, sleep. Cutting power from the program to run, HOWEVER, when someone types the IP, to connect to the computer, automatically waking up the computer, unsuspending the program, causing the server to again, wakeup.

Edit* I saw that ram is still supplied power in sleep mode. Can I get a program like ramdisk, and save the server to the ram? It takes up about 300-400mb and I have 24gb of ram. Even if the server would be slow in the begninning or not work at all, aslong as it is able to turn on the computer, so it can start to work again.

You're thinking of a low powered state. It wont' be sleep mode since sleep mode is saving every bit of data in ram to your hard disk, to be resumed when you wake it up again. Low power state is turning off the monitor, spinning down hdds when not in use, underclocking cpu frequencies to save power etc but still keeping the server running so it can come back up when needed. If you're using server 2008 or windows vista/7 there'll be built in power options. Depending on the bios, there should be underclocking/stepping settings for the cpu. And if it's a server, there should already be power saving features built in.

Where would I find these options at, I am using windows 7 64 bit.

Control Panel\System and Security\Power Options
For some of the options. The rest would either be in the bios itself or through tweaks in windows directly, such as stop data at certain times etc...

Back
Top Bottom