Hardware Recommendations

im looking on the gigabyte website for the ud3-b3 mobo. on the supported memory list, it goes up to 2400 but says "downgraded to 2133" for anything above 2133.

Sometimes you've got to overclock your chipset (???!!! perhaps) to support higher ram speeds, but the manufacturer lists them as compatible.

You should see a specific list with brands of memory supported...correct? If it's on the list, it's supported. But I still don't think you'd see much of an increase in performance for the price over 1600mhz.

Sometimes you've got to overclock your chipset (???!!! perhaps) to support higher ram speeds, but the manufacturer lists them as compatible.

That's kind of what I was trying to get across, but I wasn't sure how DDR3 and the new Sandy Bridge setup works so I was avoiding comment on that. So if someone can give a definitive that'd be great.

thats kinda why im having trouble with it lol. If it does give a noticeable performance increase (seeing how its only $20-$30 more) then i might go to higher speeds. I can't really find anything using google search because all the links are from 2009 or earlier.

caviar black or blue. Blues are cheaper, about the size i need, but have a lot smaller cache. If im using them for storage drives, does that really matter?

i also get a 3 year warranty on the Blue, but a 90 day warranty on the Black.

i mgiht just go with the blue, its $40 for 320GB

and i don't think i will fill that up for a while.

now just need to decide on the ram and i'll order it.

im at $1787.57 currently.

ordered :p thanks for all the help dude_56013 and j03.

BTW, if you are looking for RAM, you can get G.SKILL sniper series 1866MHz DDR3 for $67.99 today on newegg.

Awesome. Glad to help pal, especially since our builds are so similar. I wish you luck on the build. Go ahead and dig this thread back up within the next couple of weeks if you have troubles with the build. Let us know how it went and we'd LOVE pictures! As always, remember cable management when you throw it together--tidy up those wires to promote good airflow!

Zac/dude_56013

Are you stupid? Why are you posting such crap... you need to think BEFORE you post? HE IS INSTALLING 8GB OF RAM. A 32BIT OPERATING SYSTEM WOULD SEE LESS THAN FOUR. THAT IS WHY HE WANTS A 64BIT OS. [...]

Whoa, why the hostile response? There is no need for this!

There is no reason you can't be polite and simply state why a 64bit OS makes sense.

Whoa, why the hostile response? There is no need for this!

There is no reason you can't be polite and simply state why a 64bit OS makes sense.

Because he's been posting stupid sh!t all over this forum and everyone's getting fed up with it. Especially the regulars. I'm firmly on J03's side on this matter.

Back
Top Bottom