Constant power cuts

Update : I have been doing a bit of trial and error and notice two of the four ram modules were newer. I took these out leaving the original 2 x 256 modules and the computer has run for about 2 hours without failing. then I returned the new ram and took out the old ram and it started to power off again. unless it was coincidence I think that its the new Ram that is faulty (however it did pass a full memory test). the two matching pairs were at different frequencies, does this make a difference and could this have caused the problem ?

How long did you run the memtest86+ for that you are saying it was a full test? When I test RAM, unless it fails within the first hour or two, I typically let it run for 5-10 hours if I really want to thoroughly check for any and all errors.

Difference speeds do not matter. The higher speed modules will automatically clock down to run at the lower speed modules' setting. That shouldn't be the issue unless your motherboard isn't automatically handing that correctly, in which case you'll need to go into BIOS and set it manually to the specs of the lowest speed modules.

well i used another program to do the mem test, its pretty good and normally picks up errors quite well.

Use memtest86+. It's the standard. I wouldn't trust any other program, especially if it's not a boot-time disc.

I would recommend you still use memtest86+. It is the standard nowadays in checking RAM for any and all errors.

No problem. I'm sorry I'm stubborn, but I just really want to cover all bases before you potentially spend money on some sort of advice we offer here on the forum.

Hi all, i have just upgraded this systems RAM to 4GB from half a GB and the computer is playing up big time. the motherboard can support up to 16GB and has 4 slots dual channel. im putting 2x 2GB in the two yellow slots, when i try to do anything i get either a blue screen or an error. for example i wanted to reinstall the OS but this had errors and said about files not being copied correctly. then i put the old ram back in and it worked perfectly. the ram does not even work using it in singles. i thought it might be a bois broblem so i upgraded the bios to the latest one. the old one was outdated big time. this did not also work. the board says it can support up to 16gb but im having trouble with more than 3. Any ideas would be great

Back
Top Bottom