Hardware Recommendations

will that DVD burner come with the required cables or will i have to buy them separately (or just grab some from one of the old computers lying around my house)? i really want it to just work to install windows 7 and maybe 3 old games that i play. other than that i will probably just download all games and not use it much :p

DVD burners will not come with the required cables because they are OEM. However, I believe the MB you are getting comes with 4, which means you shouldn't have to buy any. Check the MB page again and just make sure. It's the same board I've got (but haven't been home to unbox yet, otherwise I could tell you for sure!)

DVD drives are basically dispensable. Honestly, they could run forever or they might fail in a year--then you just buy a new one. They aren't a big deal. You're fine with pretty much anything. I just love the Sony's, unfortunately I didn't see any with free shipping. I've literally purchased 8 of them in the past year for various clients, my family, and myself--zero failures.

might have to use it for other software if i cant download it, but i think you understand my point now (i just want it to work out of the box without any extra trouble)

Yeah. You'll be fine. Should have enough SATA cables in the MB box.

Seems to be a good drive. The reason I posted the Lite-On (which is also a good drive) is because it had free shipping...figured I'd try to save you a few bucks.

taking your advice on the mouse (logitech), except going with the laser version. its just about $20 more but i've heard better things about laser compared to optical, and it is the mouse my brother used to use and i loved it.

Yeah I've heard good things about that. That's the G500, correct? I've just had no need for anything that expensive yet, since I don't game..

also, im probably just going to run down to microcenter to pick up the i7 2600k. i can get it for $296.79 there and save about $20 (which covers the difference between the 2 mice :) )

Good deal. I've heard awesome things about MC...I wish we had one nearby.

I would pass on both. Honestly, the Corsair is only necessary if you overclock, and you can shell out that chunk of change later on. If you want an aftermarket cooler, go with the one I went with since it has the mounting bracket included (meaning, you don't risk bending or breaking your board due to the weight of the heatsink).

You Are A Flaming Moron You Know That Right?

Go away and don't come back. You're bad advice and poor behavior and retorts aren't welcome on this forum.

i think i can get the 30 day trial for free 2 day shipping, so shipping expenses aren't there.

MC is awesome, trades best prices with newegg on and off. This time newegg takes the cake though except for the CPU.

yes its the g500.

and i wont be overclocking at all until i see how well battlefield3 / elder scrolls 5 Skyrim perform, but i think i should be fine.

your link just goes to the newegg front page.

do you think i should do anything else for cooling? the NZXT has a 200 ml slot on the side of the case, but i heard the only fan that fits is the NZXT one that is $15. I checked their website and it is currently out of stock. (im not getting the corsair or zalman CPU coolers now)

i think i can get the 30 day trial for free 2 day shipping, so shipping expenses aren't there.

I did the same. Set a calendar on your phone so that you remember to cancel it immediately after, or else the charge is like $70.
and i wont be overclocking at all until i see how well battlefield3 / elder scrolls 5 Skyrim perform, but i think i should be fine.

your link just goes to the newegg front page.

Sorry. The forum is still having trouble handling newegg links and no one's doing a damn thing about it. Here's the link again.

do you think i should do anything else for cooling? the NZXT has a 200 ml slot on the side of the case, but i heard the only fan that fits is the NZXT one that is $15. I checked their website and it is currently out of stock. (im not getting the corsair or zalman CPU coolers now)

I would not worry about any extra cooling at this time. See what your temps are running when you get everything together, then worry about it.

ok, and i should be just at my first price guess at 1800 (going to be about $1797.61) and then take off w/e the shipping costs are.

any last recommendations from anyone on what i'm getting?

Newegg.com - ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - CD / DVD Burners
Newegg.com - EVGA 012-P3-1571-KR GeForce GTX 570 HD w/Display-Port (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Newegg.com - Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Keyboard
Newegg.com - Logitech G500 10 Buttons Dual-mode Scroll Wheel USB Wired Laser 5700 dpi Gaming Mouse
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound
Newegg.com - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Newegg.com - Cables Unlimited - 6ft High Speed HDMI® Cable - 3 Pack
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG BX2331 Glossy Black 23" 1920x1080 2ms Full HD LED Backlight LCD Monitor Slim Design 250 cd/m2 DCR 5,000,000:1 (1,000:1)
Micro Center - Intel Core i7 2600K LGA 1155 Boxed Processor 179499

and also, about the links, if you click "edit" it puts another website in front of the links, something like anrdoezrs.com

1) You don't need the thermal paste unless you get the cooler I linked above.
2) You're paying out the nose for that Samsung monitor. Check ASUS and Acer for something of similar quality but lower price.
3) You have no storage hard drive. Check into the WD 6Gb/s Black series
4) Why 3 HDMI cables? Check the prices on the site...usually you can get singles cheaper than that pack. And if you don't need three then...you don't need three. Haha.

Otherwise, seems to look good once you address the above.

k, took out the thermal paste.

the lowest 23" available is the ASUS one that is 180 with rebate, so i guess ill go with that one. If i drop down to 21.5" though the prices drop a lot.

i was getting the 3 hdmi cable pack cause it was bundled with the monitor with 8 off or so, but i'll look around for single cables.

i was thinking of just getting a storage drive when i needed one and waiting for a good deal on the WD ones, but they are pretty cheap right now.

I'm now at $1755 so i could get up to the 500GB WD and be at 1800.

looking at 21.5" monitors, but none of them have HDMI. DVI is fine though for me but i've liked HDMI better recently.

there is an asus 21.5" with HDMI for $130 after rebates.

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM

thinking about getting these instead, they have 8-8-8-24 timing. Only difference is that i don't get the $15 discount for bundling it with the mobo, but it is $10 less so that pretty much covers it.

also, i'm really thinking about going to a higher speed on the RAM. the motherboard says nothing about having to overclock to get the higher speeds and supports up to 2133. I wouldn't go to that, but maybe 1866?

1a) 21.5" monitors are plenty big. I think you'd be fine with one
1b) HDMI and DVI should be identical quality, just a different cable standard.

2) I would suggest getting a storage drive. Generally, the rule of thumb to keep the longevity of your SSD is to keep documents and music and movies and such on a storage drive until the technology gets more advance. 500GB would be plenty for you, most likely.

3) That RAM looks fine. I really don't think you'll "feel" much improvement past 1600mhz. You'd need to be a heavy overclocker looking for a lot of small increases to see that boost, and you'll be paying more for it to boot. I'd just stick with 1600, to be honest. But it's your choice.

k, ill go with the 21.5" ASUS monitor.

ill look into the storage drives and probably get either the 320 GB for $39 or the 500 gb for $45.

and i'll go ask around more about the RAM and get more opinions.

"Wild World" by Cat Stevens is a good song.

I would check the Gigabyte website to see certified RAM for the board. That'd be the place to start.

Cat Stevens is wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom