Dual Monitor set up

zzzzztt

Beta member
Hi guys,

I work remotely from an office and it's been decided that we should have skype/ video link up.

So the office and me have bought webcams, cables, headsets, mics and for me a TV.

As they run a server, they will run everything off that.

I thought I was being set up for dual monitor, so I can work and we can be on video (other display) at the same time (trying to make me feel more included!).

Anyway, the stuff has arrived and they say, unplug your monitor, plug in TV cos that's going to be your monitor. I say, well how will I work then, if I'm streaming to you.. hmmm seems like that wasn't thought out!

So, in delving behind the PC this is what I have come up with.

I have an ATI 5400 series. This was additional to a previous onboard card, which must still be there. In fact, on the back panel of the PC is what appears to be a spare VGA port. I'm reluctant to just plug the TV in, just in case.

I also notice that the monitor has a VGA and DVI port. So would it be a better idea to get a DVI adaptor, to go on the VGA cable and plug the TV to monitor, which then goes to VGA card.

The idea is that the TV would be the monitor for the skype video link, while I still use the PC monitor (at the same time) to work. And is skype the best way to do this?

Appreciate any help!

:)

I'm not sure I follow your setup there, but you have to have a video card with dual outputs in order to run both monitors at the same time. Most onboard video setups that I've seen cannot be run along side an add-on video card, you usually have to choose one or the other.

Hello cboucher,

Thanks for reply.

The idea is for me to have a video connection with the main office. So, the idea was to have the skype video link on one screen, while I work on the other - off the same PC.

I see what you say about the graphics cards, as I would think the onboard is disabled as I have inserted an ATI card.

What about the idea of a cable (VGA) from TV (which would have the video stream) to the monitor via DVI, then the monitor's VGA going to the graphics card on PC... could that work?

Hello cboucher,

Thanks for reply.

The idea is for me to have a video connection with the main office. So, the idea was to have the skype video link on one screen, while I work on the other - off the same PC.

I see what you say about the graphics cards, as I would think the onboard is disabled as I have inserted an ATI card.

What about the idea of a cable (VGA) from TV (which would have the video stream) to the monitor via DVI, then the monitor's VGA going to the graphics card on PC... could that work?

No, connecting two monitors to each other will not work. Each monitor needs it's own video output. A splitter wouldn't work in this case as it would just show the same thing on both screens.

Oh poop! At the moment I have a dual screen set up using my laptop and the TV... they show the same thing just now as I haven't configured, but I read how to do that somewhere, I'll try it.

Any ideas on how I can do this then?

edit: I have the laptop and TV working dually, as it were, different stuff open on each.

Back
Top Bottom