Hardware Recommendations

:rolleyes:

Go back to working on cars man...

Anyhoo, i advise you against getting the HAF case if you ever intend to move it, almost killed me getting it into the shop one time.

i work at a garden center, used to lifting heavy things with care :) going with the corsair case though, and its still just as heavy about.

actually thinking about saving just under $200, going with a mid tower case, and then upgrading in a couple years (or whenever I need to)

would a 750W power supply be good for a gigabyte z68 mobo, i7 2600k, nVidia 570 GPU, 8 GB 1600MHz or higher RAM, etc...?

looking at this case now:

LIAN LI PC-60FN Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Do not look at the wattage of the power supply. You need to look at the amps on the 12v rail. I prefer high amp, single 12v rail power supplies. Corsair and PC Power & Cooling and Antec all make higher quality power supplies, so check those for decent ones and if you have question, post the link and we can give you a definitive yes or no.

Lian Li makes great quality cases. I'm not sure you could NOT be happy with a Lian Li case!

Do not look at the wattage of the power supply. You need to look at the amps on the 12v rail. I prefer high amp, single 12v rail power supplies. Corsair and PC Power & Cooling and Antec all make higher quality power supplies, so check those for decent ones and if you have question, post the link and we can give you a definitive yes or no.

Lian Li makes great quality cases. I'm not sure you could NOT be happy with a Lian Li case!

i was looking at these ones:

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31

CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750

im guessing the second one isnt worth the extra money, is it?

also, could i use a corsair CPU pump in the lian li case?

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CWCH50-1 High Performance CPU Cooler

i was looking at these ones:

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31

CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750

im guessing the second one isnt worth the extra money, is it?

also, could i use a corsair CPU pump in the lian li case?

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CWCH50-1 High Performance CPU Cooler

I would pass. I hate rebates...I like standards and things that just "work". Higher clocked RAM can be finicky, especially if you would have to OC to utilize the frequency. Plus, your CAS is much higher, which isn't a good thing. I'd just save yourself the trouble and get 1600 (link here). Cheaper anyways.

The first PSU (the cheaper Corsair) is just fine. The other one is more expensive because it's Gold certified for efficiency, and in all practicality that means nothing. The first one will definitely do the job for you. It's a newer variant of the one I've got.

should i get home premium 64bit or professional 64bit? I always thought it would be useless for me to get anything but home premium, but professional has 5/5 on newegg and home premium has 4/5. Any difference that supports the price difference?

also, would it be worth it to get a SSD?

im currently looking at the crucial m4 128 GB SSD

whats the difference with OEM when it comes to an OS? the price difference is drastically less. I can get this in a combo pack:

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

for $199.98.

should i just go with that? if not, can you post a link on newegg of the OS that i should be getting?

Just get Home Premium 64-bit. There honestly isn't much difference between any of them. I've got Ultimate on my desktop and HP on my laptop, and I honestly never notice a difference.

As for the SSD, I'll have to look into that tomorrow. It's bedtime for now.

Newegg.com - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case

looking at that case now. Its a cheap, top-rated, full ATX tower with supposedly good cooling, good cable routing, and it has 2.5" compatibility on all the 3.5" slots incase i get the SSD.

i can get it in a combo with the corsair 750W PSU and get $20 off for a $230 total.

also though, would the OS being OEM put me at a disadvantage? is SP1 currently the highest version of win7?

Newegg.com - EVGA 012-P3-1571-KR GeForce GTX 570 HD w/Display-Port (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Newegg.com - ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

which one? the EVGA one comes with a 10 year warranty, the ASUS comes with a 3 year warranty. I have enough room for either one. If i do end up getting a second one for SLI later on, i'm not sure if my mobo will fit the 2 ASUS GPUs.

i'll probably not SLI though and just buy another single card later on, what do you recommend?

Back
Top Bottom