Disk Boot... well, Disk Drive won't open!

Trainzer

Baseband Member
Okay, I got this old computer. I couldn't tell you the name, it appears custom. It has a 50x disk drive on it, and this is the motherboard:

ECS Web Site

I'm wondering if somethings not connected right. It starts up, and does a system check and says it's Failed to boot and need the System Disk for a Disk Boot. I'm getting Windows 2000 and I'm going to try to install it. However, the damn disk dive won't respond to the push button open.

Cheers,
Joshua

Have you had the case open to see if the molex connectors are attached to the drive to give it power? It also could be a faulty drive. If it's advertising 50x, that's read speed for a CD, so it's probably a fairly old drive...which just adds to the fact that it may have failed. Sounds like an older computer...is that a correct assumption?

The failed boot sounds like there's no operating system installed, or if there is, it's corrupt. You may need a new DVD/CD drive if this one proves to be dead.

Could be a bad MBR, too. To fix that, you'd need the OS CD matching the loaded OS. If not the MBR, it could be corrupt OS files (2000, no big surprise), which you should hopefully be able to repair the OS with the CD and it's utilities.

Have you had the case open to see if the molex connectors are attached to the drive to give it power? It also could be a faulty drive. If it's advertising 50x, that's read speed for a CD, so it's probably a fairly old drive...which just adds to the fact that it may have failed. Sounds like an older computer...is that a correct assumption?

The failed boot sounds like there's no operating system installed, or if there is, it's corrupt. You may need a new DVD/CD drive if this one proves to be dead.

It's is very old! She's from 1999! I'll recheck the connectors, but from what I remember, the drive had power. Would you be able to help me remove the other case cover on the other side? It does have another front slot, and so I stuffed another CD-ROM I had lying around. (this one is also quite old). This one actually lights up, so I know she's getting power. However, this one won't open either... I wonder if my old b***h Dell Dimension XPS (fried it's video card) will open the drives. Good way to test the drive.

My only problem in terms of supplies has been solved. Since this a 2nd hand computer (from my uncle); therefore, I don't have the OS disc. Luckily, I found a nice (virus, and adware/malware free) torrent of Windows 2000 Pro. I'm going to burn it to a disc and use it. If it crashes the 'puter, no lose to me. I just really need experience with computers, and this is helpful!

I'll reset the BIOS too, just to make sure that isn't f**ked. I have no idea what has happened to this computer. It seems that it may, in fact, be the BIOS.

Any help is welcomed on what to check. ;)

Cheers,
Joshua

It's is very old! She's from 1999! I'll recheck the connectors, but from what I remember, the drive had power. Would you be able to help me remove the other case cover on the other side? It does have another front slot, and so I stuffed another CD-ROM I had lying around. (this one is also quite old). This one actually lights up, so I know she's getting power. However, this one won't open either... I wonder if my old b***h Dell Dimension XPS (fried it's video card) will open the drives. Good way to test the drive.

My only problem in terms of supplies has been solved. Since this a 2nd hand computer (from my uncle); therefore, I don't have the OS disc. Luckily, I found a nice (virus, and adware/malware free) torrent of Windows 2000 Pro. I'm going to burn it to a disc and use it. If it crashes the 'puter, no lose to me. I just really need experience with computers, and this is helpful!

I'll reset the BIOS too, just to make sure that isn't f**ked. I have no idea what has happened to this computer. It seems that it may, in fact, be the BIOS.

Any help is welcomed on what to check. ;)

Cheers,
Joshua

Good deal. If you can test those drives in another computer, go for it..that'll give you a definitive answer! Mess around and see if you can gather some more info on what you think might be the issue and check back with specific questions, and we'll try our best to help you out!

Okay, so my old Dell is basically a fried video card and motherboard with a PSU. I hooked up my replacement drive, and it worked fine. It a bit of shutter, but worked fine. When I plugged it into my actual computer, the darn thing won't open. However! I noted it had an amber/red light displayed. I know that a no-good thing. When it was hooked up to the Dell, it didn't show anything but green when I operated it. I read somewhere that I'd have to remove the faceplate and then get a paperclip and straighten part of it out to push a button in the drive to manually open it up. Is this true?

Cheers,
Joshua

Back
Top Bottom