Hardware Recommendations

imtheproof

Baseband Member
I'm looking to build a new desktop. I haven't been keeping up with computer hardware for a while, and was wondering if I could get recommendations for each part to build a computer that will handle CAD and 3d software decently, and handle games such as battlefield 3 and other games coming out later this year at max settings and 1080p resolution. I would like to spend about $1800, $2000 AT MOST, including a monitor, mouse, and keyboard into the price.
I want a case that is easy to cool, large enough for most future upgrades, and looks nice. I'm a fan of intel CPUs, but will lean either way for GPUs (nVidia or AMD). atleast 1333 MHz RAM, looking at 8gb. Durable motherboard (very compatible and upgradable)
also want to be able to easily install GPUs in SLI or crossfire, maybe at first if price is right, but probably not.
Any recommendations would be nice.

looking to run windows 7 64bit. Haven't decided on what HDD i want. Probably looking at a low-capacity fast HDD or SSD, and then a large capacity lowspeed drive or external drive.

CURRENT SELECTIONS (please provide feedback)

CASE:
choice 1: COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case - $180
choice 2: Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - $245

*** are the storage drive slots on these cases compatible with SSD? ***

CPU:
seriously leaning towards this over all others, please make recommendations: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K - $315
would it be smart to get a 1 year warranty for $33 / 2 year warranty for $60?

RAM:
choice 1: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL - $83
choice 2: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B - $85
choice 3: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX - $60 after rebate
choice 4: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 - $94
I'm having a difficult time choosing RAM. There are a ton of top-rated models of the same specs. Those 4 are the top picks for 1600MHz RAM, last choice is 8-8-8-24.
Would it be practical for me to go up to higher speeds of RAM? ( 1866, 2000, 2133 ) , the price differences are pretty small after the jump to 1866.

MOBO:
choice 1: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX - $170

the rest of the hardware will keep coming as i research it. Will need help on motherboard compatibility, GPU, and storage drives.

for some reason the links seem to be failing a lot.

Why Would You Want a 64 Bit OS?
Install Windows 7 32 Bit...

Are you stupid? Why are you posting such crap... you need to think BEFORE you post? HE IS INSTALLING 8GB OF RAM. A 32BIT OPERATING SYSTEM WOULD SEE LESS THAN FOUR. THAT IS WHY HE WANTS A 64BIT OS.

The two rigs that dude_56013 posted here: http://www.computerforums.org/hardware/new-performance-computer-major-adobe-usage-107670.html are both excellent - the first component list includes an AMD processor, so that doesnt tick your box... and at the moment, Intel does have the upper hand when it comes to performance. But that's your call.

His component list doesnt include a monitor/keyboard/mouse, or any mechanical drives (for file storage) - but you should be able to get those things and remain well within budget.

Thanks j03, and FORDSVTPARTS, no way im going to listen to someone that doesn't know that (and has that reputation).

i will keep updating the OP when I find certain parts on newegg. Please provide feedback on anything and everything that I chose.

This isn't even close to answering all of your queries - but regarding the SSD fitting in your machine. Some cases let you use the 2.5" bay to mount a 2.5" hard disk (even though it might be traditionally for a floppy drive/memory card reader. Not all SSD's are 2.5" though - some are 3.5".

If the case doesn't have a 2.5" bay, then you can buy something like this: Newegg.com - BYTECC Bracket-25350 Dual 2.5" HDD/SSD Bracket for 3.5" Drive Bay or Enclosure to convert a 3.5" to a 2.5".

im leaning towards the coolermaster case more right now. It has 2.5" bays. Are there any drives that require 2.5" bays that would have to take those spots up instead of SSDs? (please answer without brackets in mind. I may end up getting them, may not)

as for the corsair case, I really like the look of it compared to the coolermaster. Its more simple looking. The coolermaster though does have a guaranteed usb 3.0 port in the front and is $65 cheaper. Do the separate compartments in the corsair case make much of a difference, and how will the cooling be compared to the coolermaster case?

currently looking at nVidia 570 and 580. Probably going with 570 unless the end price turns out to be atleast $150 under budget.

currently looking at nVidia 570 and 580. Probably going with 570 unless the end price turns out to be atleast $150 under budget.

i'm looking to upgrade my graphics soon and it's down to those two cards too. I have a ati sapphire 5850 right now and it's just not performing to my needs. basically what people have told me is get the 580 if you're going to stick with one card, but if you plan on getting 2 get two 570's they'll perform better than the 580 and only cost a couple hundred more =P as far as your case you should look at the nzxt phantom also! don't get me wrong i have the HAF X and love it, just throwing some more out there

I'm only sticking with a single GPU for now, but everything I choose i'm making sure it has SLI/ crossfire support. Also, think i'm going with the corsair case. I heard they are putting in usb 3.0 and sata3 on all the cases as a standard now. Also i read something about a faulty front panel that has shorted peoples motherboards and things they plugged into the USB on the coolermaster case.

I love that Corsair case. I was almost going to use it in my current build, but it was just too expensive for me. It should do the job fine, though. My $0.02.

Back
Top Bottom