Building My Gaming Computer

IknowLITTLE

In Runtime
Well, its just about buy time and i just want to make sure everythings the way its supposed to be. heres the build, feel free to suggest changes. (i know im missing a OS)

SHOPPING CART LINK:: http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/ShoppingCart.aspx?Submit=view

CPU: Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDX840WFGMBOX

RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

PSU: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-500-PCAR-A3-US 500W ATX12V v2.3 Power Supply

GPU: Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1366-TR GeForce GTX 460 SE (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Wifi: Newegg.com - Rosewill RNX-EasyN1 IEEE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wireless-N 4.0 Dongle (1T1R) Up to 150Mbps Data Rates WPA/WPA2 (AES, 64,128-WEP with shared-key authentication) WPS PIN, PBC (Hardware WPS Button) QoS-WMM

USB (extra): Newegg.com - Rosewill RHB-220W 4-port USB Hub - White

Mobo: Newegg.com - ASUS M4A78LT-M AM3 AMD 760G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

HD: Newegg.com - HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.C 0F10383 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Case: Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

HDMI: Newegg.com - Nippon Labs Premium High Performance HDMI Cable 6 ft. HDMI TO HDMI Cable A/V Gold Plated for 1080P cable HDTV Cable PS3 Cable and Xbox 360 Cable

DvD: Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model AD-7260S-0B - CD / DVD Burners

Keyboard: Newegg.com - Logitech MK200 Black USB Wired Slim Mouse and Keyboard Combo

Alright, so i apologize for the abnoxiously long post i just need to know one thing. am i going to have EVERYTHING needed to put this thing together and be gaming in a few days. i mean everything, cables need to connect the dvd drive, cables to connect the mobo to the power, cables to connect case fans to PSU, cables to connect the cpu to the mobo (it clips in right?), the clips to attach the mobo to the case, EVERYTHING, if theirs something thats not their and i need to buy, then i would really love to know. i want this to be painless to put together but thats hard to ask seeing as how ive never been in a case before. Also any tips or things that i should know about putting this thing together would be great, i really dont feel like getting all these parts and then messing something up. again, i apologize for this massive post paragraph, i just need to make sure everything is in line. Oh, and ive posted multiple fourms on the topic of making this computer and if your tierd of seeing it i apologize for that also :) have a nice day and thanks for your time

-Will

EDIT: Particular questions, (LINKS ARE GREAT!)
1: How do i hook up a dvd burner to a mobo,
2: Can i transfer a WoW account info (addons, routes, gatherer spots etc.) to another hard drive?
3: Is that Psu big enough for the fans and the components of the system?
4: How much would i be able to overclock the gpu before reaching heat problems?
5: If i turn up the speed of the gpu fan will their be a problem with the psu?
6: Will i be able to adjust the speed of the fans on the case?
7: Will that Hdmi Cord work?
8: What games will i be able to play at max settings?
9: When installing windows 7 am i prompted to choose 64bit or 32bit? or (how do i get 64bit)
10: Why do i have so many questions?
11: Would i be able to overclock atall?
12: What Width ex: (1920x1080) should i run games at on a 32" tv?
13: How do i convince my parents to buy me a copy of windows 7?
14: Could someone link me to a video showing someone explaining how to put a whole system together?
15: Are Neweggs mail in rebates a pain?
16: Does the shopping cart link go anywhere?

Guys i know its alot, and one of you please dont feel the need to awnser them all, but i really do need some help on this one. tbh, im kinda nervous putting this system together and really dont feel like messing anything up. AGAIN, thanks for your time.

Lets start with the questions here....

1: How do i hook up a dvd burner to a mobo,
You use a sata cable. On the back of your Optical Drive youll see a slot next to the power connector, you put on end into that slot, and the other into a sata port on your mobo.

2: Can i transfer a WoW account info (addons, routes, gatherer spots etc.) to another hard drive?
I personally don't play WoW but i'm nearly positive that Blizzard saves all your credentials on your account login. Thats what they did for starcraft 2 when i changed my pc over.

3: Is that Psu big enough for the fans and the components of the system?
No offense to the PSU selection, it is a p.o.s in my opinion. Get a Corsair or a Seasonic power supply. And I would also recommend a 650 watt, thus giving you the allotted power needed and room for extras if you decide to add stuff later on.

4: How much would i be able to overclock the gpu before reaching heat problems?
I dont overclock, but this would be better posted in the overclocking section of the site. If you are overclocking I recommend upgrading your fans from stock fans to high power fans, getting "speedfan" a free fan controller software, and going from there. Also if overclocking the cpu, your going to need to look into a water cooling system.

5: If i turn up the speed of the gpu fan will their be a problem with the psu?
Lol, no. But it will be noisy. I put my fan on my Sapphire 5850 Toxic to 100% at one point and it sounded like a tornado in my case.

6: Will i be able to adjust the speed of the fans on the case?
As previously mentioned, download "speedfan", it lets you adjust them over your motherboard connections. I do not ever recommend getting a fan controller as truthfully all the brands at the moment make cheap merchandise that burns out or breaks constantly.

7: Will that Hdmi Cord work?
HDMI cables are all the same, if you have an HD port on your video card and an HD port on your monitor or TV then the connection will work.

8: What games will i be able to play at max settings?
Not Crysis, Crysis 2, Dirt 3, Witcher 2. Most other games you should be ok on. I'm going by the idea that this card is less powerful than either of my 2 5850 Toxics and they had a small stutter every once in a bit before I crossfired them.

9: When installing windows 7 am i prompted to choose 64bit or 32bit? or (how do i get 64bit)
You buy a 64bit edition of Windows 7. And make sure you do this for possible ram upgrades down the road.

10: Why do i have so many questions?
Cause you is a NOOB and I iz done Pwnz Jou? :)

11: Would i be able to overclock atall?
Yes, the AMD cpu sets are great for overclocking, you will need to get water cooling if you do it though. I would recommend getting a 955 or a 966 AMD Phenom X4 over your current choice.

12: What Width ex: (1920x1080) should i run games at on a 32" tv?
No idea, you loose pixels and clear resolution as you get farther into size. I'm on a 27 inch HP2709m HD monitor and I run it at 1920 x 1080 though.

13: How do i convince my parents to buy me a copy of windows 7?
Tell them your current OS is targeted heavily by hackers and virus makers and that it was suggested to you to upgrade to Windows 7 for their security updates.

14: Could someone link me to a video showing someone explaining how to put a whole system together?
Why? Here ill tell you what, in my next post ill do a step by step for you.

15: Are Neweggs mail in rebates a pain?
They are not "newegg" mail in rebates. You mail them direct to the companies that the products come from. I've never had an issue with a mail in rebate to be honest though. And it comes back in the form of a prepaid credit card.

16: Does the shopping cart link go anywhere?
None of your links go anywhere but the newegg homepage.

K next post will be a step by step guide, this one is things you should change.

1) PSU: Go with a Corsair 650watt or above.
2) CPU: Go with an AMD Phenom X4 955 Black Edition Deneb or Above. Do not get a 6-core, they do not do as well with games, and primarily are best for video editing as of lately.
3) Network Card: Rosewell, really? Lol Get either a D-Link or Linksys Wireless N Card. I personally recommend a D-Link Xtreme N Wireless Card if you plan to game alot online.
4) HD: Again a really? Get a Western Digital, preferably a 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black.
5) DVD Drive: Get a Lite-On DVD RW Drive, they are the most reliable and will be cheaper than the sony brand.

1. Do i have to buy that cord?
2. I know for a fact theirs a WTF file that holds that stuff im just not positive that its all just in that file.
7. I ment is that cord going to last? it does look kinda crapy.
11. Link?
13. LOL
16. FML ill try to fix. probably because i was logged in...

EDIT: Please do that step by step that sounds insanely helpful :)
Also, if anyone really needs the links let me know and ill get them.. dont really feel like redoing them all..

Alright, Setting Up A Computer (Step by Step)

1) Order Your Parts, Wait Anxiously By The Door Like A Puppy For Them To Come, Wait Some More..., Get Parts, Place Them On The Table or Floor Area You Plan To Build In, And Unbox [Make Sure To Ground Yourself Before Touching Any Computer Parts. Do This By Touching The Metal On Your Case!]

2) First unbox the case and lay it flat on its side, with the open spot facing upwards. Take the 9 mounting screws that I believe come with your case or motherboard and install them into the case holes that will fit your screw layout on the mobo.

3) Unbox the power supply (as this is always a pain to install after everything else, so its better to do first) and install it into the location for it in the case. Face the fan away from the "wall" and into the case.

4) Next, ground yourself again, and unbox the motherboard. First install the flat piece that it comes with [has all the pretty colors and various labels saying mouse or headphones] onto the back of the case. Then carefully place the motherboard onto the mounting screws and screw the mother board in with the headphone jack, rear usb, mouse port, etc going through that rear flat piece panel you installed.

5) Once the motherboard is properly mounted, ground yourself again and then install the CPU. Have the triangle on the corner of the CPU matching the triangle on the motherboard cpu seat. Then lock it in place by pushing down the little latch thing. Once seated, use artic silver or another thermal compound and put a few dots (like 6-8) on top of the cpu and spread it around with your fingers to make a thin layer. DO THIS CAREFULLY, DO NOT TRY TO RUSH IT BY POURING THE WHOLE TUBE ONTO THE CPU, YOU DO NOTTTT WANT THIS ON YOUR MOTHERBOARD...

6)Once spread, install the cpu fan that will be included with your cpu. Make sure both latches are tightly fastened And plug in the fan into the 4 prong CPU Fan port on your motherboard. Take this time to also connect your 3 prong fans to the motherboard as well, various fan ports 1-x.

7) Next install your RAM, place the sticks into parallel ports. Fasten the latches if they need to be fastened.

8) Mount your Harddrives into the case, and connect the sata cable to the back and into the sata port on the mother board.

9) Mount your DVD Drives and do the same with the sata cable in the back and into the sata port.

10) Install your video card. If it has a PCI-E port on the side, connect the PCI-E Power cable from the psu to it. Not sure if you will need to do this, but the PSU 650 watt corsair has it. Make sure the card is not forced in, just let it seat itself when you give it a gentle nudge.

11) Install your Network Card ETC into the PCI Express Slots or PCI Slots.

12) Connect your PSU to everything that needs power (motherboard etc)

13) Connect extrnal devices such as your keyboard mouse etc.

14) Go HDMI to your TV

15) And Start it up, and put the windows 7 cd in for install to begin.

Hope this helps in some way

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1) The Sata Cables are usually included if you buy the drives new and not "OEM"

2) I know for a fact your characters and items will not be deleted if you do a fresh build and reinstall. On blizzard go to their website and log into your account, you can download the game client from there and log in with your typical user etc.

7) It looks like an HDMI cable, talks like an HDMI cable, therefore it will work as an HDMI cable.

11) Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX

13) :D

16) Its not a big deal, most people know these products already on the forums.

And Please Refer to the products I mentioned to change when I edited my original post.

That pretty much answered it all.. thanks a bunch ill get the 955, and could u link a power supply thats worth it for the same cost?

Back
Top Bottom