Sata & Windows XP

graham7773

Baseband Member
I have 2 computers, 1 an older 1996 ibm 3ghz 80gb 2gb XP Home with sp1, 2 and 3. The other is a new Intel 3.4ghz 160gb 1.5gb in which Win XP refuses to find the Sata hard drive. I have tried about 10 different ways to overcome the problem. Can anyone tell me if the Sata drivers would have been included in sp2 or 3? If they were, can I connect the 2 computers with a RJ45 ethernet cable and format the Sata hdd in the new computer from my older computer? If the previously mentioned Sata drivers are on my computer? I hope this is not as clear as mud.....Don't bother, I tried it and it does not work

I'm pretty sure that there are some SATA drivers included with XP SP2, however, there is no guarantee that the ones you need are included. It should be a matter of loading up the appropriate drivers on a disk or thumb drive and installing them in the target machine.

I'm pretty sure that there are some SATA drivers included with XP SP2, however, there is no guarantee that the ones you need are included. It should be a matter of loading up the appropriate drivers on a disk or thumb drive and installing them in the target machine.

Thanks for the reply. I have a 1gb flash/thumb stick and the SP2 disc but have no clue how to find the SATA drivers that may be on it. Any information re their discovery would be great. I assume that putting the SATA driver files on the flash would be drag and drop?

You usually find SATA drivers on the motherboard's manufacturer's website under your particular model of motherboard...not sure if this helps, but I'm very confused at what you're trying to say about swapping/finding drivers and stuff.

You usually find SATA drivers on the motherboard's manufacturer's website under your particular model of motherboard...not sure if this helps, but I'm very confused at what you're trying to say about swapping/finding drivers and stuff.

Tried the manufacturers website, bl88dy useless. Told me to go to the vendor for drivers. My problem is that I have a new computer, P4 3.4ghz cpu, with a Sata hdd. Windows XP home will not load. Simply gives me a message that there is no hdd installed. I have tried another Sata hdd, no. I have been told by forum members that it could be ram problem, changed the ram, no. Loose connections? No. remove the mobo jumper pin reboot, no. I am thinking of buying Windows 7 to see if it will recognise the drive. Apparently 7 has the required drivers. But I was thinking to get the Sata drivers and still use XP. Any clearer?

Tried the manufacturers website, bl88dy useless. Told me to go to the vendor for drivers. My problem is that I have a new computer, P4 3.4ghz cpu, with a Sata hdd. Windows XP home will not load. Simply gives me a message that there is no hdd installed. I have tried another Sata hdd, no. I have been told by forum members that it could be ram problem, changed the ram, no. Loose connections? No. remove the mobo jumper pin reboot, no. I am thinking of buying Windows 7 to see if it will recognise the drive. Apparently 7 has the required drivers. But I was thinking to get the Sata drivers and still use XP. Any clearer?

How do you have your hard drive configured in BIOS? Do you have it configured to AHCI or IDE? If it's set to one, try setting it to the other and see if it will recognize the drive upon installation.

Back
Top Bottom