New Performance Computer (Major Adobe Usage)

Well based on steam gaming user stats:
hws_graph_pc_cpumfg.gif

Intel stock is at $21 a share and Amd is at $7 a share. Amd is hardly number 2

Actually, that's exactly what AMD is, number 2. And what is the point in even mentioning share price???? Regardless, you are comparing CPU's only here... AMD also compete very competitively in the performance graphics market.

Not that as a consumer we should be bothered unless we really don't have a choice.

So if amd gets phased out what would there be? via does not have the resources to compete against intel and why fund a company thats all about the profit motive, atleast amd trys to save you money with what options they have, $180 for a six core processor, cheap motherboards, amazing graphics. its not about being a fan boi, its just recognizing a company with integrity.

As I stated in my post, the AMD 1100T is the same price as a i5-2500k where I am. Recognising a company with integrity??? you are having a laugh aren't you? They are a profit driven business no different to Intel with share holders breathing down the CEO's back with only one thing in mind. Also, anti-monopoly laws ensure that if it's only always going to be Intel and AMD, that both will exist. AMD will not phase out, neither will Intel. Unless, that is, another player enters the game with similar market shares. Think MS with Apple back in the '90's. Thats the only example I know of, but I'm sure there's plenty.

I stand corrected.

Right Dude_56013, no need for the attitude! I am only trying to help! Very convenient of you to radically edit your initial post removing your references to possible future overclocking (now reliability is paramount??), removing reference to cost not being an issue, removing reference to performance being the main issue (replacing it with an efficiency target instead - which btw, Intel would probably still win hands down), AND adding the additional info that you are planning AMD without a VERY good argument against it. You've completely changed your initial post making me look like a tit with my responses.

I was simply offering an alternative, no need for the sneekyness to paint me in bad light by quoting and shooting me down like that.

I also brought to the discussion additional things to think about with GPGPU acceleration with Adobe, even though I'm no Adobe vetran. But, if keeping one supplier is more important than the efficiency/performance by making sure that adobe will support your graphics card is your objective(I'm not sure what your objectives are, as you seem to change them to keep your hardware, rather than contemplate changing your hardware to meet the objectives) then go for it - who am I to say otherwise.

Also, what give's with Tomhardware not being a reliable source? It's been a decent source for years, is this just something someones pull out of thin air, or is there some decent reasons behind this bar hearsay? In addition, the zero'd results? come on, a bit of common sense here. Do you really think they are implying that the use zero energy? Or maybe, just maybe, they didn't test at the time due to some sort of constraint?

And yes, Intel promptly issued new silicon for all the P67 and such like chipset motherboard manufacturers and carried out a huge & costly recall, after they, themselves, highlighted the problem.

I don't know why I wasted the time. Again, I was only trying to offer help. Pure arrogance.

Right Dude_56013, no need for the attitude! I am only trying to help! Very convenient of you to radically edit your initial post removing your references to possible future overclocking (now reliability is paramount??)

Slow your roll, pal. I did no such thing. I said "IF". That doesn't mean I'm overclocking it out of the box. That means that as it gets to the end of it's useful life, it's nice to have that option to hopefully extend the usefulness another 6-12 months. I didn't come out and say that it wasn't ever going to happen, but I certainly didn't say that I was going to and then delete it. I don't know where you got that conclusion from. Reliability is certainly paramount. It's for work. It can't crash. I can't sit around and play with an OC. I'm sorry for your confusion. My wording wasn't the greatest, and I realize that some of my elaborations didn't occur until later in the thread, and the main reason for that is the fact that my initial post was already super long.

Removing reference to cost not being an issue

What in God's name are you talking about, dude? I didn't remove anything the bit about my price concerns are in my second post!!! I simply elaborated over the thread that while pricing wasn't a main concern, it certainly had to be justified.

removing reference to performance being the main issue (replacing it with an efficiency argument instead - which btw, Intel would probably still win hands down)

Again, where are you getting this from? I didn't remove anything. Me commenting on efficiency was a reply to your comments on temperature of the CPU not mattering. To which I fervently disagreed with citing efficiency as why. It had nothing to do with the performance of either platform being considered.

AND adding the additional info that you are planning AMD without a VERY good argument against it. You've completely changed your initial post making me look like a tit with my responses.

My initial post has remained the same, with the correction of three links that weren't working. My THREAD opinion has changed. Why do you think I posted here? If I was completely dead set and knew 100% AMD was the way to go, I would have ordered it. I wouldn't have come here to have others give me their opinions and advice. So yes, I did have AMD 99% dead set in my mind when posting. It was your valuable post that helped me dive into some forums to see that it may be advantageous to go with Intel. I didn't change my initial post. You can still see that I say it'd take a lot of work to get me to switch to Intel based on price/performance ratios. But, because Adobe is such a detailed and selective program, I was able to dig up some references that it does run my more efficiently and effectively with Intel platforms, including Nvidia based graphics, which you also helped point out so that I could do further research.

I was simply offering an alternative, no need for the sneekyness to paint me in bad light. I also brought to the discussion additional things to think about with GPGPU acceleration with Adobe, even though I'm no Adobe vetran.

Yes, and I didn't paint you in a bad light. You look like the hero in this thread. I was dead set on AMD, and you changed my opinion. I'm not sure what you're talking about here.

But, if keeping a one-man-band over the efficiency/performance of this rig (I'm not sure what your objectives are, as you seem to change them to keep your hardware, rather than contemplate changing your hardware to meet the objectives) is your aim, then go for it.

What? The one-man-band reference was explaining that I like to keep my GPU and MB/CPU within the same companies. That means, if it was an AMD system, I would go with AMD MB/CPU and an ATI GPU. If it was Intel, it would be and Intel MB/CPU and an nVidia GPU. Simple as that. Sorry for the misunderstanding there.

As far as changing my mind? That's what forums are for. I don't feel as though I changed my objectives at all. I certainly have changed my mind on the hardware, but the objective of still having a great price/performance ratio'd rig to use for Adobe is still the same. Not sure what you are referring to with this one.

Also, what give's with Tomhardware not being a reliable source? It's been a decent source for years, is this just something someones pull out of thin air, or is there some decent reasons behind this bar hearsay? In addition, the zero'd results? come on, a bit of common sense here. Do you really think they are implying that the use zero energy? Or maybe, just maybe, they didn't test at the time due to some sort of constraint?

I have never trusted Tom's Hardware. I was there eons ago and ran away with my tail between my legs for how they treated me. In addition, I continue to see their forums populated with myths and uneducated members (which is not the case here). I also see many reviews that are just plainly incomplete (typically, what I mean is that instead of a general review, they pick and poke at certain aspects of things instead of the whole picture). You won't find to many Tom's Hardware links flung around here on this forum, for a few of those reasons. Anandtech, you will see those around often. As for the last bit, incomplete data is still incomplete data in my opinion.

And yes, Intel promptly issued new silicon for all the P67 and such like chipset motherboard manufacturers and carried out a huge & costly recall, after they, themselves, highlighted the problem.

I realized that after just a bit of research...most MB that were revised were denoted as B3 boards.

I don't know why I wasted the time. Again, I was only trying to offer help. Pure arrogance.

Cut the attitude, dude. Words and phrases aren't conveyed well over the internet. You should know that. No offense was intended in anything that I covered. I have a very matter of fact and blunt writing 'voice'. While you don't have the ability to, you could ask anyone who knows me professionally and they would agree with that statement. I apologize if you think I was trying to discredit you or make you look bad. It was never my intention. I hope you don't disappear from this thread now. I hope you do find this sincere.

CF forums, is for some reason, delaying any updates for me here. I slightly edited my last post, without knowing you had replied, to tone it down a bit after being "emotionally distressed" haha!

Anyway, reading your reply to my first post does seem to shoot me down a bit. And we had a slight communication problem when it comes to what "if i decide to overclock" and "references to possible future overclocking" means. I appologise if I wrongly percieved your post.

Still, you are correct, forums are the place to misintepret.

I still think you should seriously research your Graphics card purely on the support from adobe though. I use an AMD card myself, but ultimately, any graphics cards are made to PCI-e standards and specs and not to work better with a particular hardware manufacturers product. I'm only saying this because it seems that CUDA has better penetration, and might prove to be a significantly faster with your work. But again, I don't know the ins and outs, your the Adobe man.

Chris.

CF forums, is for some reason, delaying any updates for me here. I slightly edited my last post, without knowing you had replied, to tone it down a bit after being "emotionally distressed" haha!

Anyway, reading your reply to my first post does seem to shoot me down a bit. And we had a slight communication problem when it comes to what "if i decide to overclock" and "references to possible future overclocking" means. I appologise if I wrongly percieved your post.

Still, you are correct, forums are the place to misintepret.

I still think you should seriously research your Graphics card purely on the support from adobe though. I use an AMD card myself, but ultimately, any graphics cards are made to PCI-e standards and specs and not to work better with a particular hardware manufacturers product. I'm only saying this because it seems that CUDA has better penetration, and might prove to be a significantly faster with your work. But again, I don't know the ins and outs, your the Adobe man.

Chris.

I'm having to refresh every page (even after clicking into them) to see updates. I dunno if it's just me, firefox, or everyone. It's getting really old and I think that's half the problem here. It also seems that links are not working again. I checked them initially and they worked, now they just take me to blank newegg pages, which I do apologize for...because you are probably very confused right now. I'm going to try the links again, but a few posts above it should have been these:

CPU: i7 2600k
Board: Gigabyte Z68
GPU: Fermi 480

Sorry again. I know that you were probably confused as hell not know what I had posted those as. Idk what's with the forum as of late.

Sorry we were both misinterpreting back and forth. The internet has a funny way of working that way. Seriously though. I was sincere in my thanking you. I would have been on the straight and narrow to spending a grand on an AMD system that would have been poorly utilized for Adobe. This is why I love this place. I'm in the business of computers, yet, I'm still learning things every day. I love that about life.

Welp. Just bumping this to let you guys know what the scoop is. I pulled the trigger last night.

I ended up with the following as a final build:
Case - $150 (Glad I picked this up. I had originally saw the black version, but I did see the unboxing of this Titanium one and liked what I saw. Good thing I snagged it because the black and now this one are out of stock--ETA is around a month, as of now.)

Board - $170 (Checked one more time on the combo deals. They did have a similar P67 board, but I really wanted to go with the Z68. I would have only saved $10 on the P67 combo anyways.)

CPU - $315 (Overall, happy I went with this one after reading up on how well it performs with Adobe. Got a free IDE DVD drive with this...for whatever weird reason. Haha.)

RAM - $165 (Saved the $15 on this by bundling with the CPU. While it's just RAM, I did like the color scheme since I'm trying to go all black, even though I'll have no side window. It is also qualified as 1.5v XMP.)

GPU - $340 (Will not send in rebate. Done with them, unless they are cheap products that I can afford to get screwed over on them.)

3x SSDs
- $270 (I think I accidentally bought an extra when I was bought these on Shell Shocker a few days ago. I'm gunna have to decide what to do with the extra one now. I'll have 2 x 1TB Black drives RAID1'd, along with 2 x 24x Sony Optiarc optical drives. So that leaves me with 2 SATA ports for the RAID0 on the SSDs, unless I decide to just go with 1 optical drive for now either 1) RAID0 on all 3 SSDs or 2) See if I can use the Smart Drive Tech on the Z68 board to move the cache on the RAID1 Black Drives to one of the SSDs. Not sure which will be more beneficial...probably the second option, since that'll be the bottleneck).

CPU HSF - $30 (Comes with mounting bracket. Couldn't pass that up.)

Also needed to pick this up for a more professional appearance in the design studio with my 42" Panasonic LCD. I'll probably also snag another one of these bad boys in a few weeks to do a dual screen setup.

So, all in all, I paid (excluding the above TV bracket) $1,457. Not bad. Right on budget, actually, with what I wanted to spend to get things kicked off.

Any comments or questions, let me know. I'll try to post a video of the build and final product when I'm all done. I've got my new Canon Rebel T2i, so we'll get some good unboxing and pictures and video.

I'm getting REALLY sick of newegg links not working from this BS affiliate crap that JCB signed up for. I've dealt with this this whole thread now. Goodness gracious. I'm PMing him again. This is too much work to fix these all the time.

I'm gunna fix em. Give me 5 minutes and check again.

EDIT: Should be fixed for now.

That thing will fly - seriously. Enjoy! $1457 is a very good price for such a machine!

I think so. And you know, it's a business investment. If things go awry there, at least I'll have a b!tch!in' computer. I can't wait to throw this puppy together. I just snagged that second monitor as well. This must have been a "stars aligning" moment because I got like 4 Newegg deals on parts I had picked out, including $20 off the monitor, $35 off each SSD, $15 in combo savings, and a free $20 DVD drive. All in all, that makes me happy. Not to mention I signed up for the free shipping trial offer and saved like $20 on shipping from the qualifying items. I only had to pay shipping on the case.

I'm just overall pretty excited. I'll update this when I get it going, because my hope is that Google will catch this thread and that if anyone is wavering on a system such as this for design work that this might at least be a template for them. I just can't wait to benchmark this baby. I do need to make a new thread though to see if anyone can help me figure out the best SSD setup...maybe I'll do that now. I need to go to bed soon though...haha. I was out shooting night photography for my class project and it's 6AM here.

uh-oh. I can feel my MBP quivering at the prospects of your GeekBench results! 9670 is the score to beat from me ;)

Regarding RAID - If you're using your three SSD's, then you'll have to use the Intel Z68 RAID controller rather than the Marvell controller (The marvel controller only has 2 SATA ports "connected to it"). But that's not necessarily a bad thing - people have said the Z68's chipset RAID is better than the Marvell controller (higher throughput - apparently the Marvell controller is limited to 450mb/s, according to [Solved] Marvell 88SE9172 vs. Intel Z68 Sata Controller - Chipsets-Bios - Motherboards-Memory).

Back
Top Bottom