Regarding Solid State Drives

shoover1

Baseband Member
Hi there after seeing the results of a SSD as the boot drive (for windows OS and a few games), I was extremely impressed.

I wanted to purchase one for this computer (quad-core phenom, runs well), and I am not sure how the results will compare. I either want to:

A: Transfer everything from the HDD to the SSD, including the operating system (Win 7) and make it the boot drive)

B: Make it a secondary drive and put my games on there so they will run fast (Crysis, WoW possibly)

I was wondering what are the advantages and disadvantages, or if one isnt recommended over the other or at all of these 2 situations. Thank you for your support:

-Steve

Don't make it a secondary, run the OS from it, that's the main purpose of it, faster boots. Runs games off a larger hdd unless you want to spend a TON getting a decent sized ssd. If running windows7 make sure you disable defragging, auto backup (windows makes image backups), indexing, and update the firmware asap. Don't format it as often as you would an hdd, they don't like being written too as much as an hdd, and make sure it has trim, trim will greatly help with speeds and lower degradation. also, enable AHCI in bios to get more performance, this would probably require a reinstall if an os goes on the drive though, but can't say for sure.

That's all i can help you with, i don't know which ssd's are better over others, i don't use one, i just read up on how to take care of them from others.

Back
Top Bottom