Good Hard Drive Causing BSOD

elykyle15

Solid State Member
Hello,

I have a hard drive with Windows XP Home on it. Trying to boot the PC off hard drive causes BSOD. Removing the hard drive and placing in an external shell so it can be used through usb also causes BSOD. Booting to something like Bart PE or ERD also causes BSOD. The funny thing is i was able to run a hard drive test on it and it past. I also ran an IDE diagnostics tool and it also passed again. Even if it was locked, I'd imagine it would still be able to boot normally as an external or secondary drive and be recognized by device manager. The operating system was also said to have been infected by malware. Anyone have any clues?

Thanks
Oli

The hard drive is most likely bad in some way. Diagnostic programs usually only check for bad sectors. There is probably a different issue with the drive. Perhaps the drive motor or the circuitry controlling it is having problems. Does the drive make weird noises?

Can you boot up the PC into a live version of Linux without crashing (with and without the HDD connected)? I would give that a try, to be honest. Either that or run a memtest. Or do both. That would for sure narrow it down some more. If you don't know what either of those things are, we can help you with that.

I left the computer running with a full system stress test to see if the memory wasn't bad. I didn't think about using a Linux system yet. But if everything passes I'll install Linux on a USB stick and try it out. I just want to be able to access the data.

And also there are no weird noises it does make a louder noise than most newer droves but thats because it's an older drive and it's only 40gb big so that's to be expected. Also, it was also said to have been infected before I got it.

I left the computer running with a full system stress test to see if the memory wasn't bad. I didn't think about using a Linux system yet. But if everything passes I'll install Linux on a USB stick and try it out. I just want to be able to access the data.

What test did you use? I would thoroughly recommend you use memtest, and not a "stress" test. There's a huge difference between the two. Memtest is a simple bootable test that will scan the entire module for any errors.

Don't use just memtest, make sure to use memetest86+.... The test will take around 12 hours, or however long it'll take to do at least 10 passes. Make sure it's around 10, as problems can come near the end. Oh, and never use window's memory test. It's such garbage i don't get why it was even put in.

Honestly I use MRI from Geek Squad. They have full diagnostics test and i use that. but he problem also occurs when i use it as a secondary on another computer

Have You Tried Booting From The HIREN'S Boot CD? It Includes D-BAN So You Can Wipe the drive and start fresh!

Back
Top Bottom