Photo help

niceties55

Daemon Poster
I am shooting some pics with friends at a water park with a couple of gals. I want to get some sweet awesome shots, posed and unposed (like going down a waterside) etc! Any tips on how to get some good shots, because if they are good enough, I will add them to my portfolio. Thanks a lot!

I have a D90 not a pocket camera:)

Try shooting at different apertures. F8 is a good place to start, with slightly larger apertures like F5.6 or F4 if you want to blur the background a little. A tripod is the best, but if you are using the camera hand held, be sure to keep the shutter speed higher than the lens: at least 1/50th of a second or faster for a 50mm lens, and of course, hold it as steady as possible. My favorite time to photograph outdoors is the first hour after sunrise and the last hour before sunset. The light is softer and more dramatic during that time of the day. Also, many people think good photographers take a few excellent photographs, but in reality, they take thousands of photos and only show the best. As you get more experience using your camera and lens you get better at taking good photos, but you should always take tons of photos!

Posing never seems to work for me. I recommend blasting away with the camera while getting them to laugh, look sad, look mad, etc. You might even try buying a bottle of blow bubbles and tell them to have fun while you shoot. My best photos always seem to be the "un-posed" ones. Have fun! Let them know they are suppose to have fun also. Lots of expression makes for good photographs.

My favorite time to photograph outdoors is the first hour after sunrise and the last hour before sunset. The light is softer and more dramatic during that time of the day.
What is actually referred to as the "golden hours." And yes, these are actually the best times of day to photograph. The 90 minutes after sunrise and before sunset. Check the weather reports online in your area to find these times.

Also, many people think good photographers take a few excellent photographs, but in reality, they take thousands of photos and only show the best. As you get more experience using your camera and lens you get better at taking good photos, but you should always take tons of photos!

This is actually a fact, as Chipeater said. Just keep snapping photos. Honestly, as cheap as SD cards are, you should have AT LEAST a 4GB card...AT LEAST. Remember to format your card before use, and also format it each time you take photos of the camera on to your computer. Don't worry about deleting anything on the camera, just keep snapping and manage them on the computer later. You'll find that only about 1 out of 30 or 40 shots is worth keeping/actually artistic in quality. Don't be bummed out. It's the nature of the beast.

That's okay...just keep the golden hours in the back of your mind for next time you're outdoors ;)

Yep! Thanks a lot, though I hardly doubt bubbles would be appropriate in a public place;) haha. Though it is a good idea:) thanks

Back
Top Bottom